17. Shock

You knock gently, waiting for a signal to enter.
The heat in your body increases and you feel really anxious.
All these weeks and months of searching for this one person finally comes to an end.
Now, that you are in that little village 20 miles from Las Vegas, there is no way of turning back anymore. It is time to face the truth.

After a while, there still was no sign for you to enter, so you knock again. A bit harder this time.
Loud barking startles you and you would have fainted right there and then if it wasn't for your tense muscles.
The door knob twists with a slight creak.

A ghost stands face to face with you.
The woman looks nothing alike the picture.
You guessed she might have another hair cut by now, but this.
The hair is greasy, bags under her slightly red eyes and she looks the she is made up of skin and bones.

"Miss-" Leon starts, noticing that you just froze.
"Who are you ?" Your mother snaps at him.
"We are DSO and BSAA agents. But it-"
She slams the door shut again.
"-doesn't matter. The fuck ?" Your brother ends Leon's sentence.

"That was her ?!" You whisper.
"Apparently. What's wrong ?" Leon answers.
"Did you see her ?! She looked like she would faint and die every minute now. And..did you see her eyes ?"
"Uh-huh.." Your brother hums in agreement.
"Do you think-?" You can't finish your sentence as one of the windows breaks and a black shadow lands on the ground.
"Oh shit !" You exclaim and check your body for any weapons. Unfortunately you don't find any and there is no water.
Luckily Leon is the expert and never leaves his car without a gun.
A few bullets to the head and dodges, the shadow falls into ashes and you take a deep breath.
"What the hell was that ?!" You shout as you jog to the car again, gathering your rifle and some leather bottles filled with water. You strap the bottles on your hips and the rifle arouns your back.

"Okay, guys. This isn't normal. We are going in." Leon orders and reloads his gun.
You nod, but with a bad feeling. You bones vibrate with fear; this is about your mother after all.
You stand on the opposite side of the door.
Leon signals for you to break the door open.
You exhale and let the water rip the door open.
You step inside and the smell is unbearable. It smells like piss and shit, and thrown up meals.
Your brother, who volunteered, in never ending sense of care, to stay outside, also smells it and turns away.
Leon takes careful steps further into the house, followed by you.
The furniture is wracked up, stains everywhere.
"What is this place ?" You ask the blonde.
"I've got a vague idea, but I hope I'm wrong."
"Are you going to tell me your idea ?"
"I better don't." He waves you off.
Slowly and careful not to create noises, he opens a door.
It looks like it's leading to the cellar.
Leon nods his head towards the stairs and you walk down first.
Bending the water on your arms, freezing the tip.
Leon is right behind you when the light suddenly blinds you.
You repose again and look at Leon, who is still fighting to focus his eyes.
When you look at the room again, you see your mother again, standing in a corner, and something white in her hand.

"How did you find me ?" She rasps.
"Research, but what are you doing here ?!" Leon shoots back.
"What does it look like ? I'm earning a living !" She laughs sickly and positions the white something on her wrist.
You react like a lighting, shooting a mini water spike at her hand, destroying the thing.
Your mother looks at you with fear and you feel your eyes beginning to sting. This isn't what you expected at all.
You wanted to find your mother, talk to her and finish your father's work. Finding a crippling woman who is creating monsters for a living; that's totally not the thing yiu searched for.

In a flash, there are 3 of these shadow dogs again.
With a nod of your mother, they jump for you.
Immediately, you freeze one of them to the ground, another one to the wall and the last one is hit by a spike to the torso.
Looking at the place you saw your mother last, you only her jump through the window.
The blonde agents shoots at her, but you stop him.
"What is wrong ? She tried to kill you !"
"I know that ! But this is my fight." You answer and jump after her.

She can't have gone too far. And you are right. She is running to her car.
You bend the water past her, knocking the car over.
"Stop this and listen to me !" You call after her.
But she doesn't listen and throws little knives at you.
She cuts your forearm a bit, but it doesn't matter.
She left you no choice.
You freeze the ground and build up ice walls around her.
"Will you listen now ?!" You scream at her. It is remarkable that she isn't even bothered by the water bending.
"I didn't come to arrest you, I came, because my father wanted to find you."
Her look goes blank. She puts her hands on the ice wall and asks "Who are you ?"
"(y/n). (y/n) (l/n)." You answer, your voice quivering a bit.

Her eyes go wide in shock.
"(y/n)..." She says with so much care in her voice.
Your eyes sting again and the ice walls begin to melt fast.
You walk towards her and she engulfs you in a hug.
The smell and all that are nothing to you right now. Because you made it; you finally found your mother.

"(y/n) !!"
You let go of your mother when you hear a shot.
Your mother stumbles back and clutches her bloodied hand.
Looking around, you see Leon standing not far away from you and the syringe on the ground.

Tears swell up in your eyes again, but this time, it isn't because of happiness.
The pure hatred threads through you and you run up to Leon again.
You freeze her again.

When the DSO agents who were called for backup get her away, she won't stop screaming.
"You should have died ! You shouldn't be alive, (y/n) !"

Only when she is out of sight, you sit down on the ramp of the jeep, petting Cherokee's head in your lap while crying into your brother's shoulder.

~~~

Party hard, I made it..xD

I'm sorry for all this time delay; Hope you can forgive meee :( <3

See ya \(^o^)/