Waffle House and Isabel

Gerard had stayed at Bert's house for the night- not wanting to face Mikey and the questions he couldn't bring himself to answer. Gerard had opted to sleep on Bert's couch, much to his boyfriends irritation, but he had succeeded nonetheless. Gerard was content- after all, this was what he wanted, right? He wanted Bert to be his boyfriend, and now he was. So, why did he still feel so horrible, then? Why did he still feel like a shitty person, why wasn't he happy?

Gerard pushed those thoughts aside, deciding that he would be happy in good time, besides, him and Bert had only been together for one day.

He stood, suddenly glad that it was still the weekend and he had no real reason to leave Bert's house, or rather go home.

He rubbed his eyes before picking up his phone and daring to look at his notifications- three missed calls from Mikey, two texts from Mikey, a call and a text from his mom, and one text from Frank. He quickly texted his mom an apology, saying he had crashed at a friends house, and then sent Frank the same message, ignoring Mikey all together. He loved his brother, sure, he just didn't want to tell him what had happened, and he really hadn't come up with a good fake story yet.

He got up from the couch and made his way to Bert's kitchen in search of coffee, finding solace in the fact that it remained empty, as Bert was not up yet. He glanced at the clock reading eight forty-three, before sighing and realizing Bert would most likely not wake up until a good eleven o'clock.

He grabbed his keys off the counter, where they had been lazily tossed the night before, and headed out to his car to go to the nearest Waffle House.

He got in his car and cranked up the volume, miming drumming to AC⚡️DC's back in black. He chuckled at himself and pulled out of Bert's driveway and out of his neighborhood in search of some damn good waffles.

-

"Gerard! Where the fuck have you been?! And why were you fucking ignoring me? What the hell, Gee?!" Mikey screamed down the phone line at his older brother.

"Mike-Mikey, I'm sorry, ok? I should've told you where I was go-" Gerard tried, but was cut off.

"Ya think?! God, I always tell you shit, and then you just vanish one day without a word. You didn't even tell mom. Seriously Gee, that was not ok." Mikey stated, calming down slightly.

"I know, I said I'm sorry, it won't happen again." Gerard muttered, guilt creeping over his features as he leaned on his car outside of Waffle House.

"Fine. You better come back home today though, I expect an explanation. Mikey said sternly and hung up the phone, leaving Gerard to let out a deep breath before slipping his phone back into his pocket and reaching for his door handle. He stopped short, glancing around and seeing the entrance to a small trail through the woods.

Gerard didn't quite feel like going back to Bert's yet, and he certainly couldn't go home, so he grabbed his cigarettes from his car and quickened his pace toward the path, smiling at the thought of a peaceful walk with nothing but himself.

He reached the path, a smile gracing his lips as he began his journey, lighting a smoke and turning his phone off. He walked for a good forty-five minutes before finding a bench and deciding to sit, to simply feel nature.

He heard birds singing, frogs croaking, and a chipmunk being attacked by a hawk. The sound of animals fighting came from just behind him, so he stood and rushed towards the creatures, successfully scaring the hawk and having it leave the small rodent alone.

He picked it up carefully, as to not hurt the poor creature more, and inspected its wounds. One of its back legs was clearly broken, and it had some blood spots on its face and back. He pitied the creature, holding it against himself and deciding that he would nurse it back to health, or try at least.

He jogged back down the path, startled when he saw none other than Frank Iero waiting by his car.

"Hey. Me and my ma came here for breakfast and I recognized your car. She said I could wait for you if I wanted, so I did." Frank chuckled as the red head slowed his speed, still surprised to see his friend, the smol bean, waiting for him. "What's in your hand?" Frank questioned as Gerard moved closer.

"Oh, cool. And, uh, this is my new friend-thing. I'm gonna call her Isabel." Gerard smiled, opening his hands slightly to show Frank the wounded chipmunk.

"Dude- that's real?! What the-? Where? What?" Frank stuttered, stepping back.

"It's a chipmunk I rescued from being killed by a hawk. I think her leg is broken, though, and she's a bit bloody, so I'm taking her home to fix her up." Gerard stated, climbing in his car and putting the small, heavily breathing creature into franks hands.

"Don't fucking give it to me- wait, how do you know it's a girl?" Frank asked, glancing at the chipmunk he now held, wondering how anyone could possibly tell it's gender without lifting its tail.

"I don't, it just seems like a girl. Just carry Isabel while I drive, ok?" Gerard stated, exiting waffle house's parking lot and trying to think of what to tell both Mikey and his mother about the small creature in the passenger seat. And the chipmunk he was holding.

***

Tbh i don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore so....... Yea.

Shit will probably go down in the next chapter, fyi. So keep a look out, and yea.

Merci pour le Venin...