Early Sunrises Over Belleville

Gerard cried. He stepped into his shower, and he cried.

He was going to text Frank and maybe grab a coffee, but after putting his clothes back on, he couldn't bring himself to. He looked at himself in the mirror for a long time before a tear slipped down his cheek. Then another, and another. Before he knew it, he was in his shower, scorching hot water pouring all over his still clothed body in a failing attempt to quite literally burn off the feeling of Bert's touch.

He laid on the shower floor and felt the water rushing over his body and mixing with his tears for what felt like hours. His mom was staying out late tonight, and Mikey was over at Pete's. That was ok, he would rather them not be around to ask him hundreds of questions about why he could possibly be bawling his fucking eyes out in the shower.

He had forgotten, however, about Frank.

That had become apparent as Frank had returned home to the Way's; his intentions nothing more than telling Gerard about how he had been very lonely and coffee-less. But that changed the instant he set foot in the house, hearing an eerie silence and the sound of running water.

He cautiously made his way toward Gerard's room, straining his ears to listen for any sounds other than rushing water. After a moment, he picked one up- heavy sobbing.

He ran to the source of both sounds, trying the door knob, but receiving no luck. He knocked on the door; Gerard's crying was even more apparent now.

"Gee? Hey, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" He asked softly, but loud enough so Gerard would be able to hear. Frank heard the red haired boy cough slightly and attempt choke back his sobs, but he failed, only growing louder with time. "Hey, just come open the door, and we can talk, okay? I don't want you upset. Please talk to me..." He pleaded with the closed door.

He was met with silence, eventually deciding to attempt to find a key. He looked above the door frame itself and spotted one, having to jump in order to get it down.

After a few failed attempts, Frank retrieved the key and slipped it into the lock, twisting it with ease and throwing the door open, revealing a cloud of steam and a torrent of hot water pouring over the still clothed boy that he considered to be his best, and really only, friend.

He didn't say a word, simply walking into the bathroom and turning off the water. He cast a glance at Gerard who was slumped against the shower floor, conscious- but not making an effort to remove himself from his location or acknowledge the person attempting to help him.

Eventually, Frank managed to get Gerard out of the shower and into his room, deciding it a poor idea when Gerard opened his eyes and took in his surroundings, suddenly crying out and hiding his eyes.

Franks confusion was evident, but he didn't question Gerard and instead lead them into his own room- or rather, the Way's guest room.

He sat Gerard on the bed before quickly grabbing him some dry clothes. He helped the red head into them- underwear and all- before laying him down on the bed and covering him with the blanket.

He didn't know what had happened, but he knew it was Gerard's boyfriend's fault. He had been the last person to see Gerard, and Gerard sure as all hell couldn't have bruised himself to this extent.

He sighed softly knowing that the boy beside him wouldn't say a word- for now, at least. So Frank settled for sitting next to him in the bed and gently playing with his hair as the battered boy let out a few more tears curled in on himself, eventually coming to a point where he couldn't bring himself to cry, or even move for that matter. He simply lie awake and listened to the steady sound of Frank's heartbeat.

As long as Frank was with him, he was alright. The bruises didn't hurt as much, the throbbing in his brain ceased, and his breathing leveled out.

They were ok. Things would turn out alright. The pain was only for a little while, right?

---

Gerard didn't sleep that night. He stared out the window and watched as the darkness began to be overtaken by sunlight. He turned his head. He couldn't bare to watch the rays of sunlight stretch over the world around him- not when his own world was crumbling around himself and everything he knew.

"Gee? You awake?" Frank's voice suddenly overtook the silence between them, shattering Gerard's thought process as he snapped back into reality. He shifted slightly, gesturing for Frank to continue with whatever he needed to say. "Are you up for talking about what happened?" Gerard's breath hitched in his throat, "I completely understand if you aren't, I just... There's a lot of bruises on you Gerard. That's not ok; people shouldn't be hurting you. Especially not your 'boyfriend', if you could even call him that. And don't even say he didn't do that to you, because we both know that's a lie." Frank gently turned Gerard's shoulder in an attempt at making eye contact, but failed rather miserably- Gerard's gaze going straight past him and directed at the wall.

Gerard didn't speak. He opened his mouth, but not a single word came out. He just sat, attempting to find the right words, but nothing came to mind. He chose silence instead, knowing that Frank would understand and wouldn't pry further.

He would tell him eventually, he had to. But not now. He couldn't even form the words, and Frank wouldn't understand anyway. He couldn't understand.

And that was okay. Gerard didn't need him to understand, and he didn't want him to understand, he just needed his friend.

And Frank understood that. Because that was the only thing he could do.

He didn't know what was wrong, but he would wait forever for Gerard to tell him. He would stand by him, even if Gerard wanted nothing to do with him.

Because he loved Gerard, and he would rather Gerard be happy and safe than be those things himself.

***

Am I terrible? Yes.

I love you all though. A lot. You honestly make me want to push forward and keep writing.

Love love love love love love love.

Merci pour le Venin...