The World is Ugly, but You're Beautiful to Me

The pair stayed in the cemetery for only a few more short minutes before Frank lead Gerard back down the path that they had come.

They didn't go back to the Way's, no, they took a small detour. They jogged together to the entrance of the park that wasn't too far away, and for the first time in weeks, Gerard laughed. Really laughed. Granted it had been at Frank when he tripped over his own feet and landed face first in a pile of fresh dog shit, but still. Gerard, however, stopped laughing as Frank stood up and began chasing him, demanding a hug. The red head ran from him, now fearful of the shorter one who wanted 'a hug', but would just end up rubbing his shit covered face on Gerard.

After a few minutes, Frank gave up and wandered to the nearest restroom to wash his face. He stepped out a few moments later and met the boy he loved- the boy who loved him back- and started walking down the nearest trail- the one that wrapped around the lake.

"Thank you," the shorter boy started, "for talking, I mean. And for not, like, hating my guts and stopping talking to me." Frank added with a small chuckle.

Gerard simply shrugged in response, taking in his surroundings. The park was beautiful; he wished he stopped by here more often.

Suddenly, Gerard grabbed Frank's wrist and took off running towards a large oak tree in the distance. When they finally stopped in front of it to catch their breath, Gerard cast a big smile at Frank before promptly swinging himself onto the first branch, and then the second. He climbed up a few more feet until he found a branch that was wide enough for them both to sit comfortably, and then he gestured for the short boy on the ground to join him.

"No. No way in hell, Gee. Even if I could reach the first branch, I wouldn't climb up- too high. Nope. Not gonna happen." He sat down on the ground in defiance, glancing up at Gerard's pouting face in the tree. Dammit. Why did he have to be so cute when he pouts? "Fine... I'll make you an offer," Frank called up, watching as Gerard's face lot up into a grin as he nodded for Frank to continue, "I'll come up there if, and only if, you do three things for me- okay?" Gerard shot him a quizzical glance, prompting him to continue, "First thing- you have to have a legitimate conversation with me once I'm up there- no head nodding or answers that are less than three words." Gerard nodded, "Second thing- you have to tell me exactly what Bert did to you and why you still talk to him. Third thing- I'll tell you once you do the first two things..." Frank trailed off, meeting Gerard's eyes with his own.

Gerard muttered a meek 'ok', causing Frank to smile and attempt to grab on to the lowest branch. Gerard waited for his best friend for a few minutes, laughing at his vertical struggles, before Frank was finally able to sit down on the branch next to Gerard.

"Alright, let's talk. What did Bert do to you that day? Why were you all bruised up?"

"I... We just... Had sex. We had rough sex. That's it." Gerard didn't look beside him, keeping his gaze trained on the short line of ants crawling up the branch in front of him.

"Bullshit. Rough sex doesn't leave that many marks. That many deep bruises. Rough sex is hot and exhilarating, it doesn't make someone stop talking because of who knows what for weeks. I'm going to ask again, what happened?"

Gerard gulped, "I... We had sex... And Bert was rough. That's all. I consented. And he took me into my bedroom, and we had sex. He hurt me, but that just happens sometimes, right?" Gerard could feel a tear threatening to slip down his cheek.

"Gerard, in all of the other times you've had sex, was it ever that bad? Did they leave that many marks on you?" Frank questioned.

"I-... Um... No... But, un, Frank?" Gerard all but whispered.