seven - curiosity

THERE'S ALWAYS THIS scene in the movies where the girl, who's madly in love with her boyfriend, gets lost in her thoughts while doing one of her daily tasks. That was me at work. But the thing was that I wasn't thinking about us walking in the park, hand in hand, smiling. I wasn't thinking about us kissing under the stars. I was thinking about us in bed, me on top of him and the awkward silence between us. It bothered me beyond anything that for once, Harry and I couldn't have it easy. As always we had to fight for it.

For once, this was on me, I was the one that had created that situation. Harry hadn't done anything wrong, far from it. In the past few days, he had been perfect. His reaction to me knowing about his adoption had been far from what I had imagined. He was working on himself, for us.

So I ran around in the restaurant, helping Melissa serving the clients, but my head was somewhere else. I wasn't at the top of my game and I think Melissa caught it but misinterpreted it. She would walk by me and give me suggestive smiles, and I knew that Niall had told her about Harry and I. But the thing was that she seemed to be imagining something better than the reality. She had seen the movies too.

Obviously, it was no surprise that when the rush ended and we started to clean up, she bumped her shoulders with mine while wearing the biggest smile on her face.

"So," she asked, dragging along each syllable. "How are you?"

I sighed, although I couldn't help but to smile. She had the same effect on me that Niall had. She was one of those people who would always put a smile on your face, no matter the situation.

"I'm good," I replied while mindlessly wiping the counter.

There were a few seconds of silence and I knew she was already frustrated with my short answer and that made me smile even more. She was on the edge of stomping her feet but before it got to that, I opened up a little more, giving her half of what she wanted.

"Things are... good, lately."

She turned her head swiftly, her eyes lighting up as if I had presented her with a wrapped box on Christmas morning. "What kind of things?"

"Oh you know, things." As if I was going to give it up that easily. "How about you? How are things with Niall?" I asked with a side smile.

She sighed and rolled her eyes, but I knew that this was her weak spot. "Niall and I, we're... great, more than great" she replied, her annoyance slowly being replaced with affection, and maybe just maybe I got a little jealous that things were doing so great for her. "How about you and Henry?"

"It's Harry," I corrected her but as our eyes met, I knew the mistake was voluntary. "We're alright, I guess."

I tried to hide the deception and the hint of jealousy that I felt. It wasn't like me to feel like this. I was usually filled with hopes for the better, I didn't dread on things I couldn't change and yet I obsessed with the awkwardness I had felt in the morning.

"No more than that?" Now it wasn't just curiosity, it was worry.

I shrugged. "I mean it's very recent, well for me at least," I added. "So it's hard to say."

"For you? But not for him?" She said, not fully understanding, and quite frankly, neither was I.

"Well, we never said that we were official, I told him I was going to give him a chance, he saw it a little differently than I did," I explained and quickly added: "I don't mean that I didn't want this, I just didn't think it was official."

She looked at me, thinking over what I was saying and I knew that she didn't just want gossips, she was being a friend. There was concern in her eyes and I felt at ease with her, just like I did with Niall. Clearly these two were meant to be together.