twenty-one - qualified

I FOUGHT AS hard as I could to open my eyes, but the more I tried, the more the pain at the back of my head grew. I was stuck in complete darkness, unable to move or to speak. From time to time, I reached a point where I was semi-conscious of what was happening around me, meaning that I could hear sounds, voices that I couldn't identify, words I couldn't make out and I could feel my body being moved, but I had no control over it, couldn't react before everything went dark again.

Eventually, the voice became a little clearer and I was able to understand what was happening. Small moments of lucidity but still, I couldn't manage to open my eyes. It felt like a perpetual slumber, but truthfully it probably felt much longer than it actually was.

After what felt like hours, I finally managed to reach full consciousness and open my eyes. The light was hard on my eyes and it took me a few seconds to open them fully. Once I did, I was surprised to wake up in a hospital bed. I frowned and tried to sit up, but I did so too quickly, making me realize how much my head still hurt.

"Hey, slowly," I heard Wendy say as she reached for me.

I hadn't realized that she was there and I jumped a little as I felt her hands on my shoulder. When I turned my head, my eyes met her worried ones.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice rough.

She frowned. "You don't remember?"

I mirrored her expression. "Well, I remember wanting to go to my room but then everything went dark. I can't remember anything else."

Wendy bit her lower lip and sighed. "The doctor warned us that this could happen."

"That what could happen?" I asked growing anxious.

"I can't believe you don't remember this, but basically, you got up to go to your room and you lost consciousness. I tried to wake you up, but you didn't react at all so I called an ambulance. You woke up before they got to the apartment, but they said that it was probably due to the fact that you had a concussion and that they should bring you here to make sure that you were fine. You denied it, saying it wasn't necessary, but they insisted.

"We rode in the ambulance, we arrived here, they assigned you a room and we waited a little for your examination. After that, the doctor basically said that you indeed had a concussion and that falling to the ground didn't help. So he prescribed that you needed to rest as much as possible, avoid mental efforts, and warned us that we had to expect short memory loss but that eventually everything would go back to normal."

It took me a second to reply, registering all of the information in my mind and having a hard time believing it. I had really been so unlucky that I had hit my head twice? When I considered my life lately, it wasn't so surprising after all.

"Where is she?" I recognized the voice immediately and noted a hint of urgency in it.

No matter how worried I was from waking up in a hospital bed, hearing this voice I loved so much made my day a little better. It seemed like no matter how hard or how many times I hit my head, I could never get rid of what I felt for Harry.

"Right here," I replied as Harry's eyes landed on me.

He let out a shaky breath as tension slowly left his body then rushed to my side. I couldn't help but to roll my eyes, he was being so dramatic, as if he expected me to be dead. Obviously, I knew that my concussion could've been much worse, but knowing that everything should be good eased all of my worries.

"I'm fine, Harry," I reassured him as he carefully cradled my face with both of his hands, examining me in every angle.

He didn't seem convinced, his eyes squinting and his brows drawing together. "What did the doctor say?"