fourteen - confession

I HAD NEVER seen two people ignoring each other that intensely. Quite honestly, I don't know what I expected from that evening or why I thought that it would be a good idea to invite the both of them along. By doing that, I signed up for a very awkward evening, filled with silences and curious glares.

Thankfully, Niall was there and he was either effortlessly friendly or too naive, but he was the only one able to diffuse the tension. At least with Harry.

It was a weird scene to witness, on one hand, there was Harry discussing deeply with Niall and I knew I should've been relieved by that, but on the other hand, Wendy's attitude worried me.

She wasn't just ignoring Harry, she was fidgeting on her seat and just... kept. on. drinking. I had never seen her drink so much in so little time and it made me wonder why. Harry hadn't done anything to her during the evening. If anything, he had been polite with her in the car, and now just couldn't be bothered by her. It was understandable really, because she made it quite clear that she didn't want to be near him, so he just didn't give a f.uck about her and moved on.

Frankly, I just didn't understand their dynamics. Wendy trying to ignore Harry - and failing miserably - while Harry just didn't care about her. So clearly Wendy was the one having a problem. Had something happened between the two of them? Although it crossed my mind that maybe they had been involved at some point together, somehow I didn't believe that was it. Harry was just way too nonchalant for something to have happened. He had a simple attitude of 'I couldn't care less', he wasn't avoiding her. Evidently, it had to be Wendy that was the one having issues. Especially considering how she was getting so drunk so quickly.

"Hey," I said to Wendy as I put my hand on her shoulder. "Slow down a little," I warned her, watching her with eyes filled with worry.

She looked at me, her eyes already glassy from all the beer she had consumed. She didn't quite focus on me for a second, indicating that she was indeed a little tipsy already. "I'm fine," she replied after a short pause.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a second, trying to be understanding. When I opened my eyes, I observed at Harry and Niall, wondering what they were doing and what they were talking about. Niall seemed to be talking about something intense, or at lease something he was passionate about. Harry listened, nodding every now and then. He then took a sip from his beer, his eyes meeting mine momentarily. A small smile spread across his lips and he winked at me before directing his attention back to Niall.

I smiled, it seemed like at least Harry and Niall were getting along, so I didn't have to worry about that. I could focus on solving whatever was wrong with Wendy.

"We should go dance," I suggested to Wendy, standing up from my seat.

She frowned and looked around. "Dance? This is a bar, Emy. Nobody's dancing."

"So what? I really like this song, makes me want to dance," I defended, hoping that she would just stand up as well and follow me into the open space and let loose. Maybe then she could tell me exactly what was on her mind.

Her eyes softened as she looked at me, then she sighed and stood up, forcing a smile. The smile I returned was genuine. Harry and Niall stopped their conversation and looked at us. I leaned toward Harry and pressed a soft kiss on his cheek as his hand landed on my hip and squeezed it softly.

"We're just going to dance," I told them.

Niall simply nodded, but Harry pulled me in before I could walk away from him. I looked up, confused as to why he wouldn't let me go, and as I did, he pressed his lips against mine. I smiled into the kiss, not quite used to him displaying his affection so publicly. Once he pulled back, although the kiss had been short, it felt as if the wind had been knocked out of me.