fifteen - conversations

"YOU'RE AWFULLY QUIET," Harry mumbled into my neck as I brushed my teeth in front of the mirror.

I looked up, meeting his eyes in the reflection in front of me. His arms circled my hips as his head rested against my shoulder. He looked straight at me, searching for the answers that I wasn't giving him. The evening hadn't turned out as I imagined at all and it occupied a lot of my thoughts. Still, I smiled as best as I could with a toothbrush in my mouth. But as I did so, a little bit of drool came out which made the both of us laugh out loud. I had to spit it all out and rinse my mouth so that I wouldn't choke while laughing. And as I heard our laughs mix together, a little bit of the weight I carried on my shoulder was lifted.

These were the moments I lived for. Seeing Harry's dimples pop out and the side of his crinkle in the corners as he laughed.

After getting all of the toothpaste out and rinsing properly, I turned around, facing Harry that was still laughing. Before I could say anything, he engulfed me in his arms and pulled me to him. As I rested my head against his chest, I felt it vibrating as he laughed.

We stayed in that position for a while, enjoying the proximity, and I closed my eyes. My thoughts just seemed clearer when I was in his arms and we calmed down a little, concentrating only on our embrace.

"Talk to me," Harry mumbled against the top of my head.

"I don't know what to say," I admitted truthfully. I didn't even know how to express in words what was going on in my head.

"Something's on our mind," he looked down and reached for my chin so that I would look at him. I sighed, did I really want to tell Harry about this?

"Just tell me how you're feeling," he added once he saw that I wasn't answering.

I pulled my chin out of his hold and put my head back into its previous position, against his chest. This was my safe place. I took a second to listen to his heartbeat and feel the movement of his breathing, matching mine with his.

"I'm feeling... confused, angry, sad and betrayed."

Harry's grip around me tightened. "Uh... those aren't great feelings," he replied nervously, and I knew he immediately thought he had done something wrong, that all these feelings I had were because of him.

"This isn't because of you," I said, hoping that he would believe me. In a way, it really wasn't his fault, even if he was concerned, he didn't have anything to do with the fact that Wendy was falling for him. "If anything, tonight you made me feel happy and loved," I added to make my point.

I looked up to watch him and try to see what he was thinking through his expression. He was smiling gently, his dimples softly showing. "You are loved," he replied before leaning in to kiss me. "Very much so."

"So are you," I replied before laughing in a sarcastic manner, not quite enjoying the irony behind my words, but I couldn't help it.

Harry frowned, clearly not understanding my personal joke. Which only made me laugh harder. He looked at me, completely disarmed by my reaction, but waited for my laughter to die down, knowing that he wouldn't be able to get a straight answer from me when I was in this state.

He must have thought that I was crazy because after barely a minute of laughing, it turned into a sad laugh again before I became completely silent. My cheeks red and my eyes watery.

"If this isn't about me, what is it about? Did you have a fight with Wendy? Is that why you wanted to sleep here?" I looked up, surprised that he had guessed it right away. Harry's eyes widened, he seemed surprised too. "What happened?" He asked worriedly.