Chapter 12

Mona POV

"She'll love you, babe. Don't you worry your pretty little head, alright?" Liam rubbed circles on my back as I bit on my nails. I really hoped he was right.

Once the door swung open and a short blonde-haired woman came into view, I knew she had to be Liam's mother. She wore glasses, and bangs that covered the majority of her forehead. The hugest smile was across her mouth as her arms spread open wide to me.

"Why, hello there! You must be Mona? Liam has told me so much about you, dear!" She says in all one sentence as she pulls me in for a friendly hug. I nearly crumble in her grasp but I manage to hold a smile anyhow.

"I hope good things," I jokingly tell her, making a short eye contact with Liam who steps past me inside the small home.

His mother laughs and steps aside to shut the door behind us, "Of course all positive things! I'm Karen, Liam's mother if you haven't figured. His father, Geoff, is out for the evening so I apologize that you won't be able to meet him tonight."

"That's alright, there's always next time," I smile, awkwardly standing by the door.

Karen notices my behavior, "Do sit down in the living room if you'd like, dear. Make yourself at home."

I thank her and walk over to a creme colored couch before politely crossing my legs and sitting on the edge. Liam immediately, somehow, finds the spot directly next to me and a huge smile is on his face as he secretly links our fingers together.

"Where are you from, if you don't mind me querying? I notice the accent," Karen nicely asks from the kitchen. From what I can see, she's preparing a few cups of hot tea.

"South Africa," I gladly announce. "Cape Town to be exact."

She smiles, "I've heard it's absolutely beautiful. Did you fancy living there?"

"It most certainly is beautiful. The sights are just breathtaking, and the wildlife is lively as always. I miss it quite often if i'm completely one-hundred-percent honest. I miss my friends, too." I think about what they could be doing at this moment, and if they ever once have thought of me.

Karen is now pouring spoonfuls of sugar inside of the kettle. "What made you want to move to the states?"

I sighed, "Well, honestly ma'am, I didn't have much of a choice. My parents thought it was safe for me to stay with my Aunt and Uncle while they tour the rest of Africa. They're photographers, so they travel to take wildlife pictures very often. Africa has some of the most exotic animals in the world. It's pretty interesting."

As I felt Liam's thumb create circles onto the back of my hand, it somehow made me tell stories about my hometown with ease. He always made me feel better.

His mother, though, was now walking in the living room carrying a tray of teas. She smiled as she set it down on the coffee table in front of us and took her spot on the opposite sofa. "That sounds absolutely exciting! And also, I must say, you speak very well english."

For some reason, I began to feel insulted. Was she expecting me to come inside and start speaking to her in French or Swahili? Certainly not. That would be rude, and I had manners. Or was she figuring that because I am black, I would have spoken awful english to begin with?

I need to calm down. This woman surely hadn't meant anything in a malicious way. Maybe she was truly curious.

"English is actually my first language," I finally answered. "My dad was born in America and when he got the job as an exotic photographer, he traveled quite often. Finally when he made it to Africa, he chose to stay there because he met my mother. Africa is where I was born and raised, but my father basically taught me everything I know - english included."