Chapter 17

It's Saturday night and I'll stay at home to keep an eye on Jonnah and Stella. Duke told me this morning that Stella's going to stay with us for the weekend as she wanted to be with her brother and not with her father, step mother and sister. Fortunately she's five years old as Jonnah.

I like the way how Duke treats Stella. It's obvious that he really loves her and takes care of her with being the protective playful elder brother and not caring that she's the daughter of the man who her mother cheated with on his father.

I began to know Duke more than before as he started to talk to me so openly. Although on Friday morning he was out of mood, he made up and apologised for his attitude and it passed.

Of course I've told Char about everything. She was totally shocked when I told her that we kept throwing water on one another, and that he carried me. Also she didn't believe me when I told her that he let me pick up his outfit for the party and when we watched a movie on Thursday night together then he slept halfway through the movie. Actually if I were her and anyone told me that this is the same Duke who was a total jerk a week ago, I won't believe it myself.

"Mia, we're hungry" Jonnah says with Stella standing beside him smiling her genuine smile which is similar to her brother's.

"Wanna eat cupcakes?" I ask in a childish tone.

"Yes" they both answer excitedly.

I stand up to order cupcakes because I'm terrible in making them.

"Done guys" I say with the same childish tone.

"You know you can talk with them in your normal way without this childish tone" Duke says out of nowhere and chuckles.

I laugh nervously, embarrassed as I hadn't dealt with children before, so keeping an eye on them and talking with them in that way is a huge work.

"I- I ordered cupcakes" I told him.

"Yeah I heard. Mia, come with me" he grabs my hand and leads me to his room.

"What's wrong?"

"Pick up an outfit for me" he says nervously.

"Duke, I've already picked up one" I look at him.

"Are you sure it looks good on me?"

"I'm sure hundred percent. If it's not good so why would I've chosen it? Trust me"

"This is the most important event for me Mia. This will be the beginning of my very long way to achieve my dream"

"Are you nervous?"

"No" I know well that he's lying.

"Yeah sure. You know, it's so obvious that you're so confident and not nervous at all" I laugh sarcastically.

"Okay, I'm nervous, but still not very nervous. And shut up why are you here in my room anyways?" He jokes to just change the topic.

"Okay okay, I'm going to Jonnah and Stella" I say and turn around to leave his room. I'm going on with this joke.

"Wait" he stops me "you didn't change your mind?" He continues.

"No. I can't come with you. Tell me who will watch after Jonnah and Stella while the two adults in this apartment are in a party?" I cross my arms in front of my chest.

"The ghost won't bite them. C'mon, they will sleep after a few minutes and you'll spend the night alone"

He's right. They will sleep and I'll spend the night alone, but still I can't leave them here alone.