Chapter Eighteen

"Gracie! I made some brownies for the Mendes family, along with a gift card to thank Shawn for bringing you to and from school everyday," Ryan called up the stairs. I jumped out of bed, excited because I'd be able to see Shawn and Aaliyah.

I ran down the steps, where Ryan was waiting, holding the brownies on a fancy plate with an envelope.

"Text me if you end up staying for a bit," he orders, and I nodded, confirming that my phone was in my pocket.

I took the gifts for Shawn out of his hands and speed walked to the door, "Bye Ryan!"

The fall leaves crunched under my feet as I walked, and the cold air enveloped me, sending chills down my spine. I walked up the steps that lead to the Mendes' porch and knocked.

A few seconds later, Shawn answered the door. I smiled when I saw him.

"Hey," he says, flashing his perfect smile back at me.

"Hey!" I exclaim, "Ryan made you brownies and got you a gift for taking me to school."

"Aw Gracie, you didn't have to," he said, taking the gifts out of my hand, but not offering to let me come in.

When he came back, he embraced me in a tight hug. And then he opened the card.

It ended up being for me and Shawn's favorite restaurant, and he smiled up at me again. "Wanna go now?"

I nod, and he closes the door, removing his car keys from his pocket. He held my hand as he led me to his car.

And I was happy, I was always happy with Shawn.

I felt bad that he was spending his gift card on me, but I pushed those feelings away because Shawn's company made me feel so much better.

He rested one of his hands on top of mine as he drove, the windows down, the music blaring, my hair blowing all over the place.

I didn't even care that I probably looked like a cavewoman, I was enjoying myself.

"Shawn, sing for me!" I demand, pointing a finger from my free hand at him.

"What? No!" He says, flustered, as his cheeks turned red. I had no idea why he was so embarrassed because he had the voice of an angel, which is something to be proud of.

I poked my lower lip out, batting my eyelashes. My world famous puppy dog eyes had to work on him, considering he was such a sucker.

"Grace stop that now," he says, since we were stuck at a red light he was able to divert his attention to me, but when I began making that face, he immediately looked away. "I can't sing in a car," he chuckles.

I sighed loudly, and Shawn promised he'd sing for me when we got home. Since he was paying, I decided not to push the limits any further.

When we arrived at the restaurant and I sent Ryan a quick text informing him I was going to be out with Shawn and I'd text him when I was on my way home. Shawn and I walked hand-in-hand into the restaurant. A nice waiter seated us, but paused for a moment. She was a girl around our age, who was very pretty. She turned to Shawn. "Would you like a kids menu?"

I bursted out laughing, knowing she only said that to embarrass him, and Shawn's cheeks flushed. "Um, no. I'm seventeen."

She laughed a bit and directed us to our table, and I sat across from Shawn. We ended up playing the 'I catch you staring at me and you look away and I stare back and you catch me and I look away' game, before we ordered.

I had gotten macaroni and cheese in a bread bowl along with a ham and cheese sandwich. Shawn got chicken noodle soup with a ham and cheese sandwich. This place honestly had the best food, considering me and Shawn are both obsessed with soup.

"Hey Gracie," I look up and meet his gaze. "You have good taste in food."

I smiled at him, "Aw thanks, so do you!"

We talked about school, how ugly Deanna's new haircut was, and how Robbie and Morgan were most likely dating behind our backs. It was obvious, they angled their phones away from me and Shawn whenever they texted, and they both never could hang out with us.

"We should hint at the fact we know about that at lunch," I laugh, and Shawn agrees. It sucked because I wanted to be with Shawn, and sometimes I get the impression he wants to be with me too. But it's not going as well as it is for Robbie and Morgan, but maybe that's a good thing.

Our food came out, and me and Shawn ate in a comfortable silence. When we finished, he paid, and laced our fingers together, and heat rose to my cheeks. He smiled at me. Holy shit, his smile.

When we got home, Shawn gave me a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Bye Gracie, tell Ryan I said thanks for the gift!"

"Bye Mendes, thank you for dinner!" I blew him a kiss and walked in my house, feeling genuinely happy. God, that boy is perfect.