Chapter Five

Shawn's POV

After running into my room, instructing my sister to follow me, I swiftly locked the door and fell backwards onto my cozy bed, wishing I could sleep all of my problems away.

Aaliyah sat on the swivel chair of my room, and took a deep breath. "When are you going on tour again? I can't stand to be here much longer," she said, hurt evident in her sweet voice. Her voice slightly cracked as she spoke, and I could tell she was fighting back tears. My heart snapped.

"Soon," I promised her, but I was also promising myself. I had no idea when soon would be, because I hadn't been reached out to by any managements lately.

Nobody knows about my at home life. Neither of us really ever come home to often, because we're scared. When the situation becomes bad, I usually take us to the hotel that's a few minutes away and use my vine and tour money to stay there.

It sucks that nobody can know. Nobody is there to swoop you off your feet or help you. Nobody can do anything, because I wouldn't let them. Although my father was a complete and utter asshole, I still cared for him.

The doorknob was fiddled with, and the door swung open. I groaned at the sight Tanya standing at the door. Her face turned to a grin. Tanya was my dad's girlfriend, which I didn't understand because she's in her early twenties and my dad is in his early fifties.

Anyways, my dad met Tanya at a bar, her place of work where she is paid to seduce old men who are probably going to end up cheating on their wives. That's how they met. After the divorce, my dad took that as a new opening to replace my mother, so now me and Aaliyah have to listen to the banging of headboards and weird noises coming from the heated room a few doors down from mine.

I don't think my dad really likes her, though. I believe the bitter man is using her for sex, that's what he wants and she's willing. It was a good thing, however, because it kept my father occupied most of the time.

She walked over to the bed and sat practically on top of me, and I instantly froze. I hated when she did this, for I wanted nothing more than to push her off of me. But if I ever laid a finger on her, I'm not sure what my father would do to me.

"Dinner's ready, babe. Your father isn't home," she whispered in my ear seductively. I was mentally throwing up. It was extremely disgusting how a grown woman would be all over a sixteen year old boy.

Aaliyah looked at me with a dropped jaw, unsure of what to do. I winked at her, then we both bolted down the steps and into my car.

"We're going to a hotel again tonight, baby sis," I faked a smile, trying to lighten the mood but it didn't seem to convince her. She was still frowning, and I hated nothing more than seeing her upset.

I could see tears forming in her eyes. "I just want a normal dad, Shawn. All of my friends always wonder why I can never have them over. They all have normal dads that buy them nice things and it's not fair," she says, her breathing slowed as she sobbed into the sleeve of her hoodie.

"I'm sorry, I'll try to get us at Magcon this weekend," I tell her, doing my best to make this easier for her.

"I just wish he was normal," she repeats, wiping a few fallen tears from her cheeks.

"You don't need him, he doesn't care about you, Aaliyah! I'm just as upset as you are, but you need to understand that he's a bad person and you don't need him in you life. We can't always have what we want, Aaliyah, we need to make the best of what we have. We have each other, and I would do anything for you, okay? It's going to be alright," I assure her, fighting back tears myself.

Grace's POV

I decided to go over to Shawn's and see if he wanted to come over and hang out. I had finished my homework and quite frankly had nothing else to do. So I found myself on Shawn's porch, ringing the doorbell.

A woman in her early twenties answered the door. Her clothing hugged her skin, and her bleach blonde hair was straightened. "Is Shawn home?" I asked politely, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"No, sorry. He left with his sister. He should be back tomorrow morning," she said blandly before slamming the door.

I stood there for a few seconds, confused. Why would Shawn have left for a whole night with his sister? What could they be doing? I begin to think that the woman was lying, but shrugged and turned, walking back to my house. For the rest of the night, I listened to music and ate some ice cream, sometimes pondering over where Shawn was.