Chapter Sixteen

My eyes wandered up and met with a pair of deep brown ones.

It was Shawn's dad.

He smelled a bit like faded alcohol, but I shrugged it off. Just because he might enjoy drinking, doesn't mean he is an alcoholic or gets completely wasted all the time.

"I need you to do me a favor," he says under his breath. I can tell it's important by the way his eyes sparkle, symbolizing the glossiness of unshed tears.

"What is it?" I ask, cocking my head to the side in confusion. I was curious what he could be asking me for, he never seemed to be around whenever I was, or vice versa.

"Take care of Shawn," he whispers, his voice cracking as he speaks, "Take care of him for as long as you can. Be there for him. Because lately, I can't. I can't, I'm a horrible father and my kids fucking hate me. He needs someone. I want you to be that person. Please help him whenever, but don't push him. Don't make him explain what's going on. Please. Do it for me," He chokes. He seemed genuinely concerned and upset, and that set my mind into another world of confusion, but I didn't want to ask about what has been going on.

"Okay," I whisper, "I promise."

He weakly smiles through his pain. From the look, I can see it. I can see that he's not happy. He's miserable, but appreciative. he closes his eyes right and runs a hand through his hair, and leaves the room.

I stared at the floor for a minute and just thought. My thoughts were limitless, all questioning that conversation I just had. I could infer his dad was a really straight forward man, but the fact that Shawn's struggling has me oblivious.

"Hey, Grace!" Aaliyah bounds into the room, Shawn following close behind, not looking nearly as excited as his sister.

"Hey!" I greet, giving them both mini side hugs. It's awkward, I'll admit. Nobody knew what to say or how to start an interesting conversation. We take a few rushed breaths every once in awhile.

"So... What's your opinion on whales?" I say randomly, not realizing how stupid I sounded until the words escaped my lips.

They began laughing, and my hand flew to my mouth. "Let's pretend I didn't say that," I mumble, blushing slightly.

"Is little Grace blushing?" Shawn teases, pinching my cheeks.

Aaliyah groans, face palming, "Lord Jesus, just date already!" she exclaims, holding out her hands.

"Aaliyah!" Shawn scolds, giving her a cold glare that practically shot knives into her soul.

"What?" She replies, smiling innocently. I was blushing madly, but the color of my cheeks was hidden by my hands.

"Awe! She's blushing. Maybe that means she likes you back! Now you won't have to rant about how much you love her on Skype-" Aaliyah coos, her smile extended from ear to ear.

"Aaliyah! Shut up! This is why I don't let you hang out with my friends," he says blushing, rubbing his temples to get rid of a headache caused by his sister.

"Sorry," she smirks, which reveals the fact she isn't truly sorry, but just feels like saying it to please Shawn, but it didn't.

"Whatever."

"Shawn? Do you really talk about me on Skype?" I tease, laughing.

"No-" he begins to say nervously, but is cut off by a loud Aaliyah.

"Yes! All the time. Whenever he talks to the Magcon boys. He always says how pretty you-" Shawn interrupts her ranting.

"She's lying," he snaps, taking a shove at his sister. It was a pretty violent shove, but she wasn't scared. She laughed, and he groaned that he couldn't get back at her with pain.

The cold glare he sends her is pretty weird, because he's so sweet. But I guess we all get mad sometimes.

"Gracie Marie! Time to go!" My brother calls up the narrow stairway.

I sigh sadly and hug my best friends, promising I'd text the two of them as soon as possible.

I hurry down the stairs and meet with my dad, but was stopped at the door by Shawn's dad.

"Remember our promise, alright?" He whispers in my ear.

a/n

so sorry I haven't updated in such a long time! I've been so busy, and with school and stuff, I haven't had the time to come on😞😭 but here's an update!

hope you enjoy xx