Chapter One

"Grace, wake up sis, you're going to be late to your first day at a new school school!" Ryan yells, violently shaking my shoulders until I wake up. .

I groaned, wrapping myself in my comforter and burying my head deeper into my pillow, mumbling a, "Go away."

"Grace Marie, if you don't get your ass up, you're going to miss the bus and you really have no other way to get to school," Ryan urged.

I shifted my position, "That's totally fine with me."

"Grace, please," he begs, an annoyed tone in his voice. Because he was doing a lot for me, I opened my eyes, instantly blinded by the suns rays.

"Holy shi-" I began, the brightness beginning to burn.

"Grace, what did I tell you about cursing?" he says firmly, interrupting my profanity.

I rolled my eyes, believing I should be entitled to us this type of language. "Sorry, what I meant was 'Holy cow, it's so bright in here!' No let me get ready," I say, shooing him out so I can get dressed,

Since today was my first day at a new school, I decided to represent one of my favorite artists. I slipped on my favorite 'The 1975' t shirt and a pair of leggings. My shoe selection wasn't as broad, so I went with my usual, tattered black high top converse.

Ryan was going to make Jade take me shopping at the local mall, since my parents never really got me new things. We were going today after school, and I was nervous because Jade intimidated me very much.

With my curling wand, I loosely curled the ends of my caramel hair. Once my hair looked slightly less messy, I covered the bags under my eyes with concealer. Thankfully, I only had a few pimples that were easy to cover, because normally I was a complete pizza face.

I coat my eyelashes in mascara and spray myself with my favorite Vanilla Bean Noel perfume.

I stuffed all six binders in my black Jansport backpack, groaning as I swung it into my shoulders. Today was going to be a very long day, I could tell by how heavy my backpack was. and bounded down the steps to see Ryan pouring me a glass of orange juice.

"Good morning! Jade made you a bagel," he smiles, handing me a plate. My jaw instantly drops, shocked at how terribly she managed to burn the bagel.

"Actually, I'm not hungry anymore," I say, sliding the plate up and began packing my lunch in my typical Vera Bradley lunch bag.

Ryan, who had been staring out the window, turns to me. "Grace! You missed the bus!" He exclaims, putting his head in his hands.

I begin to feel bad for stressing him out, especially since he'd been so welcoming to me since I started staying with him. "Oh," I frown, "Now what?"

He inhales a deep breath, before an idea pops into his mind, "G, you better hope Shawn didn't leave yet. I don't know how you're getting to school if he already has."

Ryan runs outside barefoot, and over to the house that was a couple doors down. I watch him, curiosity flooding my mind.

He enters the house a few minutes later, sighing in relief, "Grace, looks like it's your lucky day."

I smile sadly, "Sorry, I didn't mean to cause all of this."

He sighs, nodding. "Anyways, Shawn, this is my sister, Grace. Grace, this is Shawn, your neighbor."

I smile, suddenly feeling shy at the attractive human being before me. "Hey, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this."

"No biggy," he shrugs. I begin to feel awkward, not really knowing what to talk about. "We should get going," Shawn smiles, waving at Ryan as he heads to the door, "Bye!"

I give Ryan a quick hug, and he kisses the top of my head. "Bye, G, make good choices, I love you!" He calls as I follow Shawn.

"He's so embarrassing," I groan, facepalming. I slid into the passenger seat of Shawn's car, and he chuckles at my statement.

He puts the key into the ignition, and takes the aux cord in his hand. "Based off of the shirt you're wearing, I am going to trust that you have a good taste in music. So here, play what you want," he says, giving it to me.

"Thanks," I laugh, plugging it into my phone. I scroll through my playlist, looking for a good song that hopefully Shawn would know.

We ended up listening to various Twenty One Pilots songs, which are one of my favorite artists. I was happy to meet someone who shared my music taste and enjoyed the same stuff as I did.