Chapter Thirty Two

I stood in front of my mirror, dressed in a cropped white sweater and black skinny jeans. To help spice things up, I added my favorite plaid scarf which was probably the softest, warmest piece of clothing that I owned. I added my Michael Kors watch and some rings, and simply brushed through my hair. It was already straight, and I didn't want to damage it any more than I already had. I reapplied my foundation and concealer, and touched up my mascara.

After debating whether it would be too much or not, I decided to use my Becca highlighter in Opal to enhance my cheekbones

After debating whether it would be too much or not, I decided to use my Becca highlighter in Opal to enhance my cheekbones. After watching lots of makeup tutorials, I had become pretty obsessed with my highlighter and tried to use it whenever I got the opportunity to. I had finally decided I was being extra in what I was wearing considering we were only going to the movies, but I still wanted to look presentable.

I begin tying up my black combat boots, and afterwards head downstairs to the smell of Ryan actually cooking something. Let me tell you, it smelled like heaven on Earth, which was pretty weird. Ryan hated cooking, which I was okay with because he wasn't very good at it. But after this meal, I might start asking him to cook more. And Jade, well, let's just say she can barely turn an oven on.

"Hey, Ry," I say, taking a seat at the counter. He looks up from the frying pan and gives me a soft smile.

"Hey, where are you going all dressed up? Is Jake taking you out tonight?" I blush and look down, feeling ridiculous for getting myself all dressed up for someone who wasn't Jake.

But I knew Shawn wasn't going to mind.

"No, actually, Shawn and I are going to the movies. He got tickets for the new Ouija movie and invited me."

Ryan nods, but chuckles to himself, "Since when do you like scary movies? I remember when you were little you had to sleep in my room because you would have terrible nightmares!"

I roll my eyes, "I was just a little girl, and you basically traumatized me, what did you expect."

"Okay, I'll give you that," he says, nodding in agreement, "When is Shawn coming?"

"Six, he should be here any minute," I respond, taking out my phone to check the time.

"Oh, okay," he says, stirring the mystery contents of the pot.

"What are you making?" I question, taking in a deep whiff of it.

"French Onion Soup. Smells pretty good, right?" he laughs, "hopefully it tastes as good as it smells!"

"So what made you decide to actually cook tonight?" I wonder, considering Ryan usually never puts in the effort to prepare a meal. Regardless, he was such a great brother and I was extremely thankful to have him taking care of me.

"Jade's working a little later tonight," he explains, "so I thought I would surprise her! I went to the store and I picked up her favorite wine, and some candles. So I'm hoping this turns out to be the romantic, candle lit dinner I am expecting it to be. This soup really needs to be good!"

"Aw Ryan! That's so cute! I didn't know you could be that sweet," I gush. It was kind of weird to think that the boy who used to put chewed up gum in my hair when we were younger could end up being such a sweet boyfriend. I sympathized for Ryan because unfortunately, Jade was a bitch, and if she didn't like his cooking she would tell him. And he was working so hard on this soup.

"It's the least I could do," he smiles, "She's been working really hard at work lately, and by the time she gets home she's under a lot of stress. I thought his could help out, you know?"

I smile, realizing that Ryan was the ideal husband and I hoped I would find someone to do that for me someday.

The doorbell rang, and I stood up from my seat to go answer it. One of my favorite things about Shawn was that he always came to the door to get me when we went out. He never texted and told me that he was outside, he always came and got me. Nevertheless, when he was bringing me home, he would walk me to the door to make sure I got in safely.

I opened the door to see a smiley Shawn standing on the other side. "Hey," I say, smiling. I open the door a little while so he can come inside as I say goodbye to Ryan.

"Hey, G. You look pretty," he tells me, still smiling. My cheeks heat up a little bit and I thank him.

"Hey Shawn, how are you?" Ryan asks.

"I'm good," Shawn replies, "How are you? Wow, it smells nice in here."

"Right! Who knew he could cook," I agree, laughing to myself. I was still not over the fact that the guy who made TV dinners every night was taking this meal so seriously.

"Ha ha, very funny," Ryan says, "Mendes, you should know the rules by now. Have her home by 11, no funny business-"

"and keep then hands below the waist at all times," Shawn finishes, "Got it."

"Have fun, G," Ryan says, planting a kiss on my forehead. Shawn and I walk out the door, and he opens the door for me to slide into his car.

"Hey," he says when he takes his seat on the drivers side. As he puts the key in the ignition and begins driving. "I have to tell you something."

"What is it?" I ask, confused.

"Laur and I broke up after school today," he says awkwardly, his eyes not diverting from the road.

"Oh my gosh! Why?" I question, unaware of any problems that could've been occurring in their relationship.

He shrugs, "It was mutual. It wasn't working out, we just weren't that compatible and we didn't spend a lot of time together. No hard feelings."

I nod, "Well I'm sorry, you guys were a cute couple."

"I'm pretty sure I like someone else anyways. But it's a secret, sorry G. I'm still not sure of it yet." He tells me, chewing on the insides of his cheek.

"Shawn," I groan, "you can't just do that!" I was slightly annoyed that we were best friends and he was still keeping things from me.

"Maybe someday," he sighs, "How's it going with Jake?"

"I'm pretty nervous. He asked me to go to that hockey game tonight, but it was after you asked me about going with you. Of course I had to be dumb and lie. I told him I had plans with Ryan and now I'm scared he'll find out," I tell him. I tried to ignore the nervousness, but honesty is a huge part in a relationship and if Jake found out I lied, things could get ugly.

"He won't, G, I promise," Shawn assures me, giving me a smile, "thanks for ditching your boyfriend for me."

I laugh, shaking my head, "Better be worth it, Mendes."