Chapter Thirty Nine

S H A W N ' S       P O V

She was nestled in my sheets, wrapped up loosely in my covers. Her face was pressed against my navy pillow case, some drool dribbling down the corners of her lips. Although it was kind of a disgusting thought, I still smiled down at her, admiring how peaceful she appeared. Even with her hair knotted and her eyes fluttered shut, she was completely beautiful and completely unaware. I noticed some of the mascara she was wearing along her cheeks, and gently wiped it with the pad of my thumb.

She came over earlier, crying into my shoulder and breathing so heavily that I could barely make out the words escaping her lips. And all I could do was hold her as close to me as I could and listen to everything she was saying. Or at least trying to say for that matter.

I played with her hair softly as she wept into me, knowing how much it soothed her. I made sure to frequently assure her that I was there, and that I wasn't going anywhere. Eventually, all that was heard was quiet whimpering, and her body shook and she looked as if she had just seen a ghost. I hated seeing her this way.

She politely asked me if she could borrow one of my hoodies, and when I looked into her enlarged hazel eyes (which lightened as she became more upset), there was really no saying no. Grace grew more and more somnolent in the quiet yet comforting atmosphere and was quick to fall asleep in my embrace. I tucked her into my covers and smiled at her, wanting to hold her more but also not wanting to disturb her.

From her uncontrollable sobbing, I was able to make out a couple of phrases.  Ryan and Jade got into a pretty substantial fight. She told me it was so awful that Jade stormed out of the house. She told me that Ryan was so upset that he locked himself in his room, and she was afraid that this family would fall apart like her last one did. She didn't disclose why the argument occurred in the first place, but I knew I shouldn't ask any questions. Grace just needed me to be there for her.

I was also able to make out that she missed her family. She'd told me about what had happened in the past, and it grew me to hate her parents deeply for leaving behind such a precious girl. I'd never seen her so upset about them leaving her until today, and I felt terrible that she had to go through that. She deserved so much better, and she still does. Which is why I'm so thankful that she ended up with Ryan.

As she's sleeping, I head downstairs to search my drawers for a take out menu. I decided to order something to eat and wake her up in a little bit, since Chinese food was her go-to cry food. I also knew how happy food made her, so I thought maybe it would cheer her up a little bit.

Heading down the hallway, I notice the lights on in my father's room, the door cracked open. Out of curiosity, I find myself peeking into the room as quietly as I can. Usually, he'd be completely and utterly shitfaced and it was out of the ordinary to see him sober at this time of day. He was talking with someone; a woman, who I never even noticed come into the house. I can make our sleek black hair, tied up into a loose ponytail, and she seemed upset. But as she turns around, I notice those piercing green eyes that looked extremely familiar, and the next thing you know she's on top of my dad.

Disgusted, I turned away from the sight. Surely, lots of people have those bright emerald eyes, right? It couldn't have been who I was thinking. Because I had seen so many women with my father, it wasn't hard for me to forget about what happened, even though I wanted nothing more but to tell Grace.

I dig through all of the clutter in the kitchen drawers until I come across the menu I'm looking for. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I scan the menu before deciding to get Chicken Lo Mein for the both of us. I dial the number into my phone, placing the order and removing a twenty dollar bill from my wallet to pay. I play on my phone until the food arrives. I made sure to tell the delivery person to keep the change, and pour two classes of cherry coke.

I manage to carry everything to my room in one trip successfully without making a huge mess. Once I arrive, I turn on Netflix and look for a funny movie to watch that would hopefully cheer her up. When I find one, I lightly shake her awake.

She stirs for a few moments, turning her hands into loose fists and rubbing at her eyes. She then sits criss cross applesauce on the bed and looks at me for a few moments. "Good morning," I tell her, even though it's nighttime by now.

She mumbles a good morning back and pats the spot next to her, signaling for me to lay next to her. I smile to myself, and hand her her box of food, and take mine too. Once I'm situated in the spot next to her, she thanks me for the food and cuddles herself into me as she eats.

It's pretty silent between the two of us, but it wasn't uncomfortable. She had a long day and was probably exhausted. And I didn't care if she was upset, I liked being around her.

It didn't take long for us to finish our food, and I reach over and turn the lamp on my nightstand off. I'd been sleeping over her house quite a bit recently, so it wasn't odd for us to be spending a night together. Although she hadn't really been in my house too much, it still wasn't uncomfortable.

I turn the movie on, and she nuzzles her head into my chest and pulls a blanket over us. She reached over for my hand, holding it in hers and rubbing her thumb against the back of my palms.

And that's when I realized what I'd been missing out on for all of my life. Ever since my parents got a divorce, I was pretty much living in a newspaper. My life was black and white, and utterly boring. Not to mention every single day was filled with fear and unhappiness and trying to get away from someone who only wanted to hurt me. I always had music, but there were times when I was too upset to pick up my guitar and I didn't tour frequently enough to keep my mind occupied.

Grace made me realize how much I'd been missing out on being happy over the years. Maybe my life was a boring old newspaper then, but she'd turned it into a vibrant magazine. Everything was bright and happy and she made me excited to wake up and do something new everyday. And it's such a great feeling to wake up looking forward to being alive. I admired her so much for that. I'd always wanted to tell her everything she's done for me, but since there's really no way to do so without going into depth about why I was so unhappy, I couldn't.

Instead, I had to show her. I tucked her loose baby hairs behind her ears, smiling at her. God, she made me so happy. I kissed her forehead gently, noticing a small smile form onto her lips.

Lately, I'd been thinking a lot about my purpose in life. If you asked me a few months ago what my purpose in life was, I'd probably say to be some kind of punching bag for my dad. I thought lowly of myself, because I only had one person that made me feel important, being my sister.

And although I loved Aaliyah, we were siblings. We were different ages and didn't connect about a lot of things, and it felt good to finally have someone that I could relate to. Grace had changed my purpose in life. She encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and she always stood by me. She was my purpose.

And I think I love her. I loved the silent snores that escaped her lips when she'd fall asleep on my chest. I loved how every day felt like an adventure, and I loved how no matter what she always had my back.

I couldn't help but smile at her when we were less than ten minutes into the movie and she was already asleep on my chest, snoring softly and tangling her legs with mine.

I don't know what I'd ever done to deserve her in my life, but I sure don't regret it.

OKAY SO THIS IS SO ADORABLE I NEED A SHAWN IN MY LIFE OH MY GOSHH. I had mad writers block with this chapter so I hope it's not bad, I worked rlly hard haha!

so what do you guys think about the woman in shawn's dads room?? somethin's fishy 👀👀

THE STORYLINE IS REALLY STARTING TO DEVELOP AND IM SO PUMPED OF WHATS TO COME! WOO!!!

enjoy!! remember to comment and vote xx