CHAPTER SIX√

Winston

Winston sighed as he stared at the yard, the children squealed joyfully and the parents watched with proud smiles. When would he get that look? Is he even deserving of one? These were questions too depressing to think of but nonetheless always there. Friends, he thought bitterly, is that all he would be good for? Being someone's friend? Why couldn't they just love him, like he wanted to love them? He shook his head. Looking up he saw Christian standing infront of him, he smiled at the little man who didn't return it, instead tilted his head to the side and grabbed both his cheeks in his small two year old hands.

"Don worry, uncle Win, he come round." Winston's eyebrows shot up in surprise as Christian smiled then gave him a hug. He chuckled and hugged the young boy tightly, though he still hoped that soon he would have his own son or daughter to hold. As soon as they pulled apart he was off, giggling to join the others.

"He is right you know. "Winston stood up and straightened his shoulders. "You know this is becoming a real pain." Winston gave a small smile and relaxed slightly and sat down, his Alpha sitting down beside him.

"Shouldn't you be with Elijah?" He asked knowing very well how much he didn't like being away from his pregnant mate.

"You think I chose to leave? "Winston smiled in amusement as his Alpha and best friend scowled and huffed, folding his arms over his chest." He told me to leave or else he'd blow me away. Again. "Winston shook his head and looked to the ground.

"Well, that sounds like him."

"This pregnancy has him a bit more tense than the first time. "Donovan voiced his concern and Winston turned to him.

"What do you mean?"

"I think he is hiding something from me, but I don't know what, and I'm not sure what it entails and it scares me to assume." Winston watched his friend frown, watching his sons play.

"I'm sure he will be fine." He could already tell what his concern was and what he was saying.

"If it kills him..."Winston groaned as suddenly he was crushed in a hug. He slapped his Alpha's back affectionately, and not hard enough to start a fight. "I won't be without him, Winston. I'd rather die."

"Don't say things like that, you don't know. It could be something else. " Donovan pulled away from him, his eyes shone with unshed tears.

"But I can't, I won't." Silence fell over the pack house and they followed suit,Winston could tell the parents had been listening, not that they could help it. The air around them turned grave and sad, he sighed.

"I know. "

Soft footsteps caught his attention and he turned to look at a wide eyed Theodore approaching cautiously. Their eyes connected and for a split second, all Winston's pain and worry vanished, only a split second. He blinked and turned away.

"It will be alright." Winston assured his Alpha and he stood and offered his friend a hand just as Theodore came closer and stopped at the head of the stairs, both men turned to him in question.

"Glad to see you're finally up, and well," Donovan offered a reluctant smile, Winston couldn't quite grasp what it is about his mate that made his Alpha so tense. He could only assume he was worried about the spell of choice the night he arrived.

"I would like to thank you for your hospitality, Alpha Phoebe, but I feel it is time I took my leave." Winston whipped his head towards him, his heart broke once more, it was bad enough he had been friend zoned, now he wouldn't even get to see his mate again? What luck he seemed to have. His chest gave a faint pang.

"Leave? "Both men asked in disbelief.

"What do you mean leave, you can't!" Winston felt a pang in his chest again,stronger this time. He would be left alone, yet again and this time he would surely die. He looked into the mans grey eyes pleadingly. "You can't."

"But if I stay, I will put your pack in danger. "He whispered," I cannot bare to see more people hurt because of me. "Pain flashed through his eyes and Winston wondered who he'd lost.

"You won't be bringing danger to us, besides we can handle our selves." Donovan assured him but he seemed dead set on it and Winston took a deep breath.

"Please, you...can't, "He groaned and fell to one knee. He looked up with pained eyes.

"But I have to." Winston saw the glimpse of pain and doubt just as he doubled over and his stomach began to burn, his heart felt like it was being pulled in two different directions. He howled up at the sky and fell onto his side.

"Winston!" The worried yell of his mate was something to be glad about, but at that moment he lost control of his body and it began to shift, bones broke and shifted lining themselves orderly, fur began to sprout from his skin and he yelled. It felt like his very first shift but stronger and then he heard it, the fierce growl in his head.

His wolf had awoken, it had taken over and it would stop at nothing to make its mate stay.

Winston was locked away,pushed to the very back of his mind, watching and feeling as his wolf began to surface, as much as it hurt to shift unwillingly, he was glad to have a part of him with him, but it confused him just as much. Why is it only now that his wolf returns? Where had he gone? Their chest rumbled and they stood on their strong legs. Caesar, his powerful and mighty wolf stood tall and proud.

He shook out his fur and took a step further only to stumble, it had been a long while since he had control, he was now like a newly shifted pup. Everyone gather, murmuring to one another in astonishment. Elijah emerged from the woods with a knowing smile. Caesar could care less though as he slowly made his way to his wide eyed mate.

Mate! My mate! That was the only thing on his mind. Must have mate, now. He lowered himself onto his belly as he demonstrated his submission. He would not harm his mate, he did not want to, he would never even dare. He whimpered and nudged the bare foot of his Theodore, looking up at him with wide black eyes.

Everyone was shocked.

"What is happening? "Theodore whispered, not taking his eyes off of Caesar who could heart his mate's heart race faster than speed,he was terrified.

"He is showing you that you have nothing to fear from him." Donovan supplied watching with concentration. "It is now your move." Caesar whined and bared his neck to Theodore who wasn't sure what to do and just watched frozen in place.

"This has never happened before... What do I do? "He looked to the Alpha for guidance,his voice low and cautious.

"What ever feels right, Theo," Elijah smiled widely, his own mate turning to him with a growl.

"You are not supposed to be on your feet. "He huffed.

"Oh, hush, I'm not on my feet." Looking down Donovan noticed he was levitating off of the ground and growled.

"Same fucking difference. "Elijah rolled his eyes at his big mate and looked to Theodore, giving him an encouraging look.

Caesar closed his eyes in pain, rejection was all he felt as his mate seemed to wonder exactly how to go about it. He listened to the heart of the man meant for him and noticed it was slowly coming down. Tingles rushed through his large wolf head, travelling down his body. His eyes popped open and he looked up to see his mate kneeling beside him with tenderness in his eyes and caution.

"Elijah, I don't understand, why is he doing this?" He asked after a pause. Caesar nudged his palm, making his hand run over his snout and he sneezed causing Theodore to giggle in surprise and Caesar perked up at the sound. He would love to hear that sound all the time.

"It's simple, he felt threatened at your demand to leave, his woken up from his hibernation and forced a shift on Winston. He cannot be without his mate any longer, Theodore, it was only a matter of time. "Caesar beamed up at him and slipped his tongue out but Theodore swallowed nervously.

"I can't have a mate, no... I don't want that to happen ever again." Ceasar growled and Theodore gasped, his eyes widening, he whimpered and fell onto his ass, crawling back, "Please, don't hurt me."