CHAPTER EIGHT√

Theodore

Staring at the adorable children, Theodore felt happy, even though his thoughts went back to Winston. He enjoyed their enthusiasm and their livelihood, they were simply a joy, he could see why they were so loved here. He caught the eye of Winston, who had returned from his run, the pain could not be hidden, not from him and that look was now embedded into his brain.

"I really like your hair. "Claude said to him.

"Why thank you." He smiled.

"I want hair that long, too! "

"Well, it isn-"

"You are being unreasonable. " Theodore was cut off by the loud yelling. He turned to the source to see two beautiful women emerge. His brows furrowed, a nagging feeling at the back of his mind.

"I am being unreasonable!? You are so fucking unbelievable."

"I am trying to keep you safe. "There was a cat like snarl.

"Looks like aunt Synthia and Carrin are back early." Christian mumbled.

"Do they always fight like this? " Theodore asked them.

"Almost always, usually very funny because it's nothing big." From the way the two children spoke it was hard to believe they were younger than 3.

"Shut up! "Theodore looked up to see Elijah, tear stained and scowling. Donovan ran to his side and began to sooth him. Theodore longed for that and unconsciously he turned to look at Winston's direction, would it be so bad to try? He could only wonder.

"What is it now? "Donovan growled and glared at them.

"She wants to go on a suicide mission." One said and something about her just seemed to make his mind buzz with familiarity.

"You are exaggerating, Synthia, why can't you just support me? Is that so hard to do? Take for, once in your life, the side of the one you claim to love? Is it? "The hurt the woman felt had Theodore frowning. If only he knew what they were on about.

"What do you want to do, Carrin?" Donovan asked and Theodore looked to Elijah and knew by the knowing look in his bright blue eyes that he knew already.

"You want to find your father, right? " There was silence and all Theodore could think was how irrational the women were being, why fight over something like that? He found himself siding with Carrin even though he didn't know much about their situation.

"Why the hell would you want to do that?" Donovan fumed and Theodore shook his head.

"Look, it isn't like I need your permission, alright? I am not like everyone else here and it has been that way before I had my first shift. "Her eyes flashed gold." Your blessing would mean a lot, "her eyes softened," but even if you don't give me your support, I am still going. "

"What about our children, Carrin." Synthia asked.

"They have you, the pack, they will be fine, besides, I'm not going to die. " Theodore sucked in a deep breath and the woman named Synthia turned in his direction, freezing.

"Theo?" He furrowed his brows at the affection in her tone. She took a step in her direction but some invisible force seemed to stop her, she turned to Elijah who shook his head. Theodore and Elijah made eye contact and the pain and hurt in his eyes could not fully portray the actual feeling. There was more to this than he thought.

"Carrin, I say go after him, "Elijah said causing the woman to beam at him." In my opinion, nobody should ever be without their family." There was something hidden in those words, something Theodore couldn't be sure of." I hope you find what you are looking for. "Then he disappeared into thin air, right before their eyes.

"Would someone please tell him to stop doing that." Christian chuckled beside him.

"They should have seen it though. " Theodore turned to him.

"What?" Christian looked up at him and Theodore couldn't miss the intellectual glint, the same kind of knowing look he had.

"Daddy, he doesn't like making personal appearances, especially now that he is pregnant with our baby brothers and sisters." Theodore blanched.

"It is more a trick of light, see, they are under shade so they didn't see, it was only a ghost of Daddy, not really Daddy." Theodore looked to see Synthia looking at him with a frown then he noticed they really were in the shade.

"You said brothers and sisters, like he has more than just one baby, of one gender? "Both Claude and Christian nodded.

"I talk to them when I can, but Daddy always says it is almost time." Claude said with a frown.

"I think he means that they will be here, very soon. "They nodded in unison.

"Claude, Christian! Let's go." They stand.

"Coming, papa! "They turned to Theodore and surprised him by kissing his cheek.

"See you later, uncle Theodore!" He gapped at the title. They would make it hard for him to actually want to leave.

Theodore sat there, alone, just thinking. He watched as the two women argued softly this time, tears in their eyes before the other turned away, running into the forest.

"Hey. "He turned, his breath catching in his throat. Winston sat beside him, not close enough to touch but close enough. He wasn't looking at him and it hurt.

"Hi." There was a pause.

"You know... I understand more than you think." He turned, watching him." I know you have been hurt, but really, we all have at some point, but I don't think that you should base your  reasoning on someone else's mistake. It isn't fair, not only to you, but Ceasar too. "Then he turned to him.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one you should be apologising to." There was so much pain and hurt in his eyes, Theodore couldn't look at him." I have been alone for so long, I'm used to it, but Ceasar...he doesn't like being without his mate, especially when he is right beside him. "

"I just...I don't know."

"Well, it's time you start knowing. "Theodore furrowed his brows, turning to him." He is going to die, Theodore, "he held back the shiver, ignored the nice feeling at hearing his name leave Winston's lips." This time for real and this time, he won't come back. Then,with time, I will die too." There was pain and sorrow, he was broken inside, Theodore could feel it, Winston was exhausted, lonely but ready, his wolf, however, was not and he was the only one standing between their life and their death. Tears prickle his eyes. He didn't want to be responsible for anybody's end,not if he could help it.

"I can try..." He whispered, catching Winston off guard. "But, I will need a slow pace...please." He watched as the large man came closer to him with a small shy smile.

"That was all we were asking for." Their skin brushed up against each other, a rush of tingles going up and down his bicep. Theodore let out a breath of air, suddenly feeling lighter. To think all they needed was time to themselves, so they could talk it out, so that Theodore could feel their sincerity.

Theodore promised himself then that he really would try,as hard as it may be, he wouldn't give up without giving them a real shot. After all, Winston wasn't Jeffery and by the looks of it, Theodore was slowly starting to believe that.