Chapter 1

Sunlight filtered in from the window beside me and I felt the strong metal strings vibrating under my fingers. Deep, mellow sounds sounded out from the instrument and I hummed along, my eyes closed. The melody sent a sense of serenity wash over me and I smiled.

"Ava! It's time for school!" I heard my mom call and my eyes perked up from the guitar in my hands.

"Coming!" I yelled and quickly put my guitar, taking the capo off the strings. I grabbed my back pack, did a double take in the mirror, groaning at how one of my eye's eyeliner looked better than the other's and then shrugging and walking down the stairs.

"Buddy! Came here boy." I called to my golden retriever and I heard his paws on the linoleum floor as he ran towards me. I laughed as he gave me slobbery kisses and I patted his head lovingly. I've had Buddy for as long as I could remember, and the sight of him always made me happy and put me in a good mood.

"Bye mom, bye dad." I waved to them, between laughs, whilst grabbing my keys. They told me goodbye and wished me good luck on the big AP test I had today.

I walked out into my driveway, my boots crunching the leaves scattered around everywhere. I clutched my army colored jacket towards me a little more and breathed out, my exhalation coming out as a small puff of what looked like smoke. The bitter, cold air nipped at my face and I could feel my nose becoming numb. Why was it so cold in Canada? This was not fun at all.

I pressed the button on my car's remote and the car unlocked. I put my book bag and other things in the back and then climbed into the driver's seat. I scrolled through my phone's music and then plugged the aux cord in, the beautiful voice of Halsey flooding in. I started driving towards school while jamming out to Ghost.

Pretty soon, I turned into the school's parking lot and hopped out. I waved to a few people and murmured a quick hi as I hurried to my locker. I gathered two of my books and shut the locker quite loudly, by mistake, and walked to my first class. I had World History first and I greeted a few of my friends and teacher as soon as I walked in. And then the long class began.

"Yo Ava" my best friend, Sydney screeched from across the aisle.

"what's good hoe?" I asked, turning my full attention to her. I loved joking around with her and she did the same.

"I found the perfect dress for homecoming!" She whispered with an excited look on her face. Her green eyes shone brightly at me and her brown hair was wrapped tightly in a ponytail.

"That's great Syd, but I'm just stressed because everybody has a date except us." I pouted playfully, making sure that the teacher wasn't on to us.

"Well homegirl, we have like one month left until the actual dance." She laughed and I nodded. She had been to my house yesterday and we had been on Pinterest, looking for dresses and ideas for homecoming, so that's why we were talking about it now. Let's just say, we liked to plan ahead.

"Ava can you tell us how the Native Americans survived in the Great Plains?" My teacher asked. I guess she found out that I had been talking. I looked up and I repeated the question in my mind. We had been going over this all class period, I knew this.

"Um by the buffalo, it provided every need for them." I answered, a bit quietly, because I wasn't the most loudest person ever. The teacher nodded, a small look of approval on her face and I did a small victory dance in my head.

"Good job Ava bear." I felt my friend Matt say behind me, feeling him flick the back of my neck with his fingers. I spun around and glared at him for several reasons. One, he called me that annoying nickname. And two, for flicking me in the neck.