Chapter Nine

Chapter 9 - Mr. Ego

I walk out to my car, ready for the gun range, only to see that the note is still on my window.

So she either saw it and left it, or she never came. I'm going to assume the second because if she was here, she probably would've left a note in reply.

"Wow, you showed."

I meet paint boy at the clock in desk. He turns to the lady and says "It's under Conrad."

"Alright sir, booth 4."

"Jacobs." I told her.

"Booth 5."

"Thank you."

"So is Conrad your name?" I say as I load the magazine into my pistol.

"No." He says sternly.

"Most people would've said 'No, my name is-'." I trail off but I'm left without an answer. Instead I receive bored look from him. "Ready when you are." I force a smile.

"Let's do this." He turns towards the target and we both slip on our ear muffs and glasses.

"You can go first." I signal to him through the plexiglass that divides us.

He nods and begins shooting. His shots were mostly on the second ring, one in the middle, and one on the third. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

"You think you'll do better?" He spits.

"Of course hunny." I say in a sincere motherly voice.

I hold my arms out straight and relax my shoulders while getting my feet into position. Leaning forward slightly, I hold the gun tightly and align my eyes with the target.

I fire one after another, unloading on the board that was roughly 50 yards away.

When I lower my gun, I am pleased at what I see. Each bullet fired perfectly through the center of the board.

I hear a whistle from next to me and I slide back the ear muffs. I look at the older man who stood two booths away. "She showed you." He chuckles.

"Yeah, I guess she did." Paint boy smirks and it seems as though I've sparked his interest.

"You stand too straight when you shoot. Your body couldn't stay balanced when your gun kicked back. Try leaning forward a little, your shoulders just slightly in front of your hips." I explain.

"Next time." He huffs, securing his gun back into his ankle strap.

-

"How'd you learn to shoot like that?" He questions me.

"My dad's a lawyer. It's just a protection thing." I shrug.

"Oh."

"Yup."

There was an awkward silence between us as I stood outside my car and he sat on his motorcycle. He stared at the ground and I stared at him.

Call it creepy, I don't care. If you look like that, you're probably used to the staring.

"Well.... I was going to go shopping later so I guess I'll be leaving.." I murmur.