Chapter Ten

Chapter 10 - On the Front Lines

"Hi there, what's your name?" The lady is at least 40 but she has on a short skirt and a tight shirt. Seems a little inappropriate for school but I guess it fits the job.

"Anna Jacobs."

"Alright Anna, show us what you can do."

"My pleasure."

I take my place on the mat and start off with my arms in the dagger position. Then when I hear the music start, I go into some basic lunging with the easy 'T' and 'V' moves. Beginning to get more serious, I manage to throw in some toe touch jumps, eagle jumps, and a back flip, before ending it in a hurdler jump, leading into splits on the floor.

"Wow! That was great! Give me a minute." She looks down to her clip board and starts drawing out something and writing notes. "Okay, it's been a while since I've seen such a raw talent in here. I think we'll put you on the front line."

"Wow thank you!" I pretend to be ecstatic about making the team.

I had some doubts in myself. When preparing for that routine, I conjured up any little thing I could remember from a few years at the cheer camp I went to as preteen. Plus whatever google and youtube could teach me in the weeks leading up to try outs. 

"Take this key and head to the locker room. You'll be locker 28. There's uniforms in a box in there, take your size." I grab the key from her and head off.

-

I walk into the locker room where the walls perfectly match our school colors. I find my locker and open it up to see an old dirty sock. I use my foot to kick it on the floor.

Then I notice the big brown box sitting on the bench.

Wow, talk about revealing uniforms. They were green and white, and hardly there. The bottoms were skorts but the skirt piece looked like they barely hung low enough to cover your butt and the shorts were spandex and well... short.

The top piece was a crop top and also a tight spandex material. They had long sleeves and a black sting ray on the front. One arm said 'Westway High' while the other arm said 'String Rays.'

There was a glittery stripe across the shoulders and the hem of the skirt. Overall the design isn't too bad, but with all the skin they show I'm happy I've kept myself in shape over the years.

I pull out a size medium and turn to put it in the locker.

"What do you think your doing?" Courtney's hand ripped the uniform away from me.

"Excuse me, but I'm settling into my locker, so I'll take that." I yank it back from her.

"Ha, good one."

"It's the truth Courtney, I'm a cheerleader, and you're the head right?" She was obviously irritated.

"Yes." Her teeth clench.

"Then I'll be seeing you on the front line."

The front row was three girls, one being the captain. The second row was four girls. The one after that was was five. Then there was that goof ball mascot off the to side.

"There's no way you made the front line."

"It didn't take much." I smirk and whip my hair as I left the room.