Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18 - It's been a rough night: Part One

Daffy was cowering at my feet as I stood lopsided in a pair of pajama shorts and a loose camisole. The wind was blowing, causing it rise up and I felt bare as the air of the cold Fall night bit my skin. My feet were ice cold against the pavement and I could feel goosebumps cover my body. 

I watched as flashlights bounced off the windows of my house and police officers swarmed inside. Red, blue, and white lighting up the front of my house.

*15 Hours Earlier*

I walk in the house and catch the whiff of something sweet. "Hey dad." I call out and enter our kitchen.

"Hey hunny." He comes over to me, wraps his arm around me. Then he leads me to a seat at the dining room table.

In front of me were plates and plates of different cookies, cupcakes, and strudels. Something is up. Dad's an excellent baker, but he never makes this much unless someone died or he's going on a trip for a trial. I'm hoping for the latter.

"What's going on dad?" I ask in a knowing voice.

"It's only one week in California." He instantly has an apologetic look on his face. He may not show it, but he's probably more fearful than I am. In fact, I'm not fearful at all. This is his first time traveling since mom, but I'll be fine on my own. I can promise him that.

"Dad, it's okay. I promise I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" He frowns. "Because we could call the school and you could always come with."

"Positive." I smile and bite into a pink frosted cupcake. "Mid terms exams are coming up, I can't afford to miss right now."

- 5 Hours Later -

"Dad for the last time, I'LL BE FINE!"

Dad has been arguing with me for the whole two hour drive to the airport. He insists that he can stay home and that someone else can take this case, but I know he hasn't had a big case since before mom died and I'm not going to hold him back. He needs a good distraction these days.

"Maybe that's the problem." He sighs and reaches his hand out. He caresses my face and his eyes tear up.

"What's wrong dad?"

"You're just growing up so quickly. You're eighteen and graduating in just a matter of time. You'll be off to college and on your own."

"That's life dad." My mouth forms into a lopsided smile.

"I know dear. I just wish your mom could see you being so mature."

I tear up with him when he speaks these words. It's something I often wonder about. Would she be proud of me? Would she approve of my decisions, or push me in a different direction? I'll never know. I can only hope that somewhere she is satisfied with who I'm becoming.

"Dad, I'm sure she has a front row seat." I reassure him and his frown turns into a forced grin. "Now get going or you'll miss your flight."

He comes closer to me, pulls me in for a kiss on the forehead, and slowly backs away. "Drive safe Anna. I'll call you when I land."

I watch his back get farther and farther away from me as he ventures deeper into the airport. His suit was pressed and crisp. His strides were long and proud. He was definitely in his element with this case.