Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14 - Don't think of me too much

"Chase."

"Chase."

"CHASE."

He's ignoring me, still. He's been ignoring me everyday now and it sort of sucks seeing as how we're partners. We've been doing our own individual experiments and papers, even though they're group projects.

"I know you hate me and all, but I have a proposal for you." I chirp.

Still no answer.

It's currently Tuesday and I have only until Saturday to get him interested in Mallory. I've been unsuccessfully trying to talk to him for a week.

I mean come on, yeah I broke his heart but seriously? At least I didn't lead him on forever before telling him. He should be thankful!

Yeah, he had every right to be mad about me hanging around Parker behind his back at first, but how long can this kid hold a grudge? "Holding grudges isn't good for your health." I lecture him.

He just continues filling in answers on his observation sheet, giving me the cold shoulder no matter what I say.

I guess I'll just be upfront then.

"I know a girl who would be perfect for you, or I at least think she'd be. Please let me do this to make up to you." I pout.

He looks at me curiously and squints his eyes as if he's trying to figure me out or something. I guess it would be weird to have the girl who you liked- or possibly still do like, setting you up with a different girl. He needs to get over it though because I'm determined on making this friendship last.

"Keep talking." He finally says and I give him a satisfied smile.

I bite my lip to stop from stupidly grinning in accomplishment. "You two like practically all the same things. She's such a sweet girl. We used to be best friends until I moved, and she seems a tad different now, but I'm sure she's still the same inside." I ramble on.

"Name?" He asks, seeming slightly more interested.

"Mallory."

Chase looked as if there was a rock in his throat. His face drained of color and his eyes quivered. "Mallory who..." He asked in a shaky breath.

"Mallory Everby... Are you alright?" I ask, noticing his heart wrenched look.

"You're joking, right?" He scoffs.

"No."

"Anna..." He speaks softly.

"No..." I feel like an idiot.

"That's the girl I broke up with."

NO.

What?!

Him and Mallory?! This time I actually did kiss my ex-best friend's ex. There has to be a girl code against that somewhere. They'd be so perfect though. She's not even a moody girl. Why did he say she's moody?

I guess I'll find out. "I thought you said she was moody."

"She was."