Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12 - We are the Sting Rays

"You're really good, even with a doughnut hanging out of your mouth." Parker eyes me up. I wasn't sure if he's making fun of me or not. His face is always so straight with zero emotion.

"Good at what?" A little piece of my jelly doughnut falls out of my mouth and lands on my thigh. Parker shoots me a warning look as if to say 'Don't you dare get that on my leather seat covers.'

"Singing?"

I wasn't singing, was I? I have a horrible habit of just zoning out to the radio and doing my own thing. "Oh.... I don't really like attention for my voice. It's something personal for me." I reply to him honestly.

"It's very pretty."

Was that a real compliment from Parker Kenneth? Wow.

When I look up, I notice we have come to a stop in the school parking lot. Parker's face looks genuine. This is a rare occurrence, so I'll appreciate it.

"Ready to go in?"

I nod and grab my book bag. I open the door and step out, noticing many eyes on me.

Last night Parker was texting me, insisting that he drives me to school today. At this point, I feel pretty intimidated with all the girls giving me death stares, but I can't show it if I want to rise to the top at this school. So when I look back at them, I give them an innocent yet proud smile, as if I've won a prize.

"Look at these two love birds." Jake howls while the other three boys whistle from behind him. They were all headed our way, sporting wet glistening bodies from a morning shower after football practice.

"Ha, ha, good one." I say sarcastically, smacking Jake in the chest and stampeding through them.

"Chill out girl." Rick spoke, reaching out his arm to stop me.

"We just wanted to talk to Parker real quick and then he's all yours." Blake explains.

"Okay, but I don't want him so...." I push through Rick's arm.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this woman is in denial!" Troy grabs my arm, raising it up, and fist pumping the air for me. When he let go I just let my arm fall limp and gave an un-amused look.

"Jeesh, lighten up." Jake says.

"Tell Parker that, I can hardly ever get a smile out of him."

I look at Parker who was glaring at me so I decide not to stop there.

"You know Parker, they say smiling gives you wrinkles... must be why you're so pretty." I say in the sweetest voice possible. I stand up on my tip toes and scruff up his hair with my hand.

He shook his head to fix it and glared at me. It must be nice being a guy and not needing a hair brush to smooth things out. "Wow, you're so funny Anna. You know they say gingers are soul less, that explains you."

"I'm not a ginger!" I used to be, but it faded into this caramel blonde color. There was just slightly a tint of orange and it's not even that noticeable unless I'm in the sunlight.

"Close enough."

"You know, I noticed you had a quite large gun yesterday. Does it compensate for your tiny dick?"

The air around us was filled with 'Oooooooh's and 'Ohhhh she told you'. This was coming from the four boys of course, because no one else was in an ear's distance.