Chapter Thirty One

Chapter 31 - A New Life

My eyes inch to the right, connecting with Mallory's. A huge grin simultaneously stretching across our faces, anticipating the seconds to come.

This is it.

Are you watching mom?

"Congratulations class of 2016!" Confetti exploded into the air, sprinkling down on us while a cliche song played into the crowd.

With one quick fling, my hat went flying up, getting lost in a massive blur of green.

Mallory jumped in excitement next to me, and in that moment an arm wrapped around my waist, spinning me around.

Soft, delicate lips press into mine. The fire of his kisses never fail to feel new to me. Such a simple gesture had become something I thrived for daily.

He makes me feel alive.

"What now?" He whispers against my mouth, but I really didn't have an answer.

"Whatever we want." I smile, pecking his lips once more.

"I want you." He hugs me tightly, the smell of his body spray encircling me, making me fully take in every bit of him.

"Cheesy doesn't fit you Kenneth."

"And the last name thing doesn't fit you, Jacobs." He smirks and pulls away, leaving my side cold, despite the 70 degree heat.

I turn to Mallory and embrace her in a hug. "Sorry you didn't get valedictorian." She says as she pulled away.

"It's no big deal." I brush it off.

Due to this year's events, my grades had suffered drastically and for the first time in my life, I wasn't a straight A student. I graduated with a C average but I was content with it. For going through the loss of my mother, being attacked twice, and stalked, I'd say those are some pretty decent grades.

The best part was that it made me feel normal.

For once, I was just your average teenager. Well, somewhat.

"Come on, your dad is probably looking for you." Parker took my hand and led me through the crowd of howling students.

I don't think they'll be so excited when real life hits them and they have to get jobs, and pay their own bills. It was something that I know I wasn't looking forward to, but Parker and I have plans for life. We someday want to get our own little apartment, not anytime soon... but someday.

I smile internally at the thought of us waking up together every day. It was something that I'd be more than willing to adapt to.

"Hey guys!" A mass of blonde curls halts us to a stop. "I'm having a little celebration party tonight. Starts at eight, you better make it so it's not just a ton of losers." She rolls her eyes, looking irritated.

I felt humored because a few short months ago, she was calling me a loser.

"Sure Court." Parker nodded before pulling me past her.

Honestly, Courtney wasn't that bad of a person. Did she put herself on too much of a pedestal? Yes. But at the heart of it, she was a somewhat nice girl. Someone who we had all somehow become friends with through the recent events. Maybe the others more than me, but I was working on accepting her presence.

"Court?" I laugh, giving Parker a skeptical look.

"Sorry cupcake, do you wanna be called Ann?" He raises one eyebrow, already knowing the answer.