Chapter Forty Five

"In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine."                          

- Mary Angelou

Chapter 45 – We Made It

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I smooth over the white tulle while staring into the gold trim mirror. My fingers dance across the lace and beading. My eyes took in every little detail that contributed to the beauty of the gown.

Are we rushing this?

Do people think we're crazy?

These are just some of the million thoughts I had throughout these past months.

While these thoughts nag at me, the thing is that... it simply doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter what other people think when they look at Parker and I. They have not been here for it all. They don't know our deepest conversations or most cherished memories. They don't know the way our hearts hitch when we see each other, or the way my skin burns when he holds my hand.

To not speak with someone for four years, just to come back and still be loved deeply? That is a love that holds great value. A love like that can not be torn. It is eternal. In the end, Parker and I have always been eternal. A love that was bound to make itself heard. Even when we were distant, it was always in the background binding us together.

"Are you okay?" I turn to see Mallory watching me.

"Just... thinking." I breathe. "I want to say thank you. I know this is a lot to ask of you given the circumstances."

The circumstances were that we hadn't talked the entire time I was away. Then when I received an invite to her wedding, I wasn't quite sure how to respond. I felt so conflicted. I wasn't ready to come back. I needed to finish the chapter of my life that existed in Denver. So I sat and stared at that invite for months and months, and the coward in me didn't have the courage to respond.

Then I had gotten wind of her second pregnancy, and when her youngest was born, I didn't reach out to congratulate her. Of course, I had meant to, but time just got away from me. And I feel as though it looks even worse to congratulate someone six months after the fact.

All in all, I have not been a good friend to her and I do not deserve all that she is doing for me right now.

"Life consumes us. It's okay. You were focused on building your life and I am so proud of you for that." She smiles and places a reassuring hand on my cheek. "Besides, God forbid you would have come back to visit, seen Parker, and never would have went back. I mean, look at what happened this time." She rolls her eyes and I chuckle.

"Do you have a problem with my impromptu wedding?" I laugh.

"Well, two months is a little short notice." She straightens out my hair and looks me in the yes. "But Lord knows you guys have waited for each other for long enough."

"You know I don't deserve to have you in my life." I could feel my eyes burn.

"I'm not holding any grudges. Now let's not mess up all my hard work. Get out there while you're still all in one piece." She smiled softly.