Chapter Forty

Chapter 40 - Old Time's Sake

I sat uncomfortably across from a man with salt and pepper hair. I watched as he sorted out papers and jotted down a few things before he finally looked up at me.

"So Anna." He smiles at me, acting as if he knows me so personally. "We are here today because of your mother."

"Okay." I say awkwardly. My mom has been gone for a year. Why was I hearing from some attorney now? "I think you're mistaken. Shouldn't you be talking to my dad?"

"You've recently graduated, right? You're an adult?"

I nod.

"Then I'm talking to the right person. Not suprised by the demeanor though. Marge told me a lot about you."

"You're on a nickname basis with my mom? Was she having an affair or something?" I was appalled. My mom wouldn't have done that, would she?

"For God's sakes no." He clears his throat, obviously very uncomfortable with the accusation. "Don't get me wrong, you're mother was a very beautiful woman, but... let's just cut to the chase. And just know it's not anything like that."

"Okay..." I say nervously.

"You're mother had a private will. In it was what she wishes to do with her personal inheritance from your grandparent's passings."

"My mom had an inheritance?" I blinked. I never knew this.

"Yes. And she chose to keep it private from your father."

"Why?"

"Well, there's this." I watch as he slides a yellow envelope across the table.

Carefully, I slid my nail beneath the seal. Popping open the little flap so that I could slide the piece of paper out.

'My dearest Anna,

I want you to know that I love both you and your father very much. The both of you are my greatest treasures, and although this letter is only able to be written due to the passing of grandma and grandpa, it is a blessing in disguise. I was not hiding this from dad for any sour reason. I kept this money set aside just in case anything ever happened. Your dad and I were well off otherwise, and the money wasn't very much needed by us. But you, my sweet girl. I know you're going places. Whether it be for your talent with music, or for your scholarly brain, you are going places. And you will need the funds for it. Your birthday will be here soon and if my health continues to take the route it's been going, then this is my last gift to you. Use it for whatever makes you happy in life, and for whatever helps you grow into the amazing adult that I know you will be. I swear it was just yesterday that I watched your small body asleep on the couch. You'd always grunt in your sleep and cuddle your puppy. Those are the little moments that I cherish most as I lay here in this bed hooked up to these machines. I know that accepting my decision to let me go will be hard on your father and you. But I need you to be strong for me Anna girl, because I will always be there. Someday you will be watching your own child on your own couch, and I will miss you, and you will miss me, but you just know that I will always be there my dear. I will always be taking care of my little angel. Love your mommy Margaret.'

"Your mother had her nurse write that for her. It was very important to her that you receive it."

I blinked, somehow managing to still hold back my tears.

"Your mother had an inheritance of 130,000 dollars Anna. And today, I sign off the rights of the money to you. It was in her will for you to receive the money once you graduate."