Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter 26 - Nothing but Problems

I throw back my head and let out a groan.

I trudge down the stairs, following my dad's voice. "Yeah dad?"

"What is this?" He holds up a little neon purple paper, and I knew right away what it was.

"What does it say?"

Without answering me, he plants the paper in my hand. I look down to see the scribbled words.

'I'll be over at eleven tonight.'

"Who is coming here so late?"

"Chill out dad. It's just Mallory." I roll my eyes and his protective stature simmered down.

"Where has Parker been?" He asks and his question catches me off guard.

"He loves somebody else." I sigh.

"And do you love him?"

"Of course, but not in the way you're thinking. I have Elliot."

"Go get dressed, we're going out." He instructed.

"Where?"

"Just out."

"Casual or dressy?" I question.

"Casual."

-

My eyes settle on the head stone in front of me, and I wonder why he brought me here. I turn my gaze towards him, expecting answers.

I watch him kneel down and lay the colorful bundle of tulips across the grass.

"I think you need to get some things off your chest."

I watch my dad walk back to his car. He started the engine and drove away, leaving me. I'm assuming he'll come back in a little while.

I turn my attention back to the grave. "I don't really know where to start, but I guess I'm stuck here for now." I slowly lower myself to the ground and fold my legs. I slouch over and twist the grass between my fingers.

"I suppose that I don't have much explaining to do. I'm sure you can see everything from up there."

I look at the ground and tuck some hair behind my ear. "But I really wish you could give me some advice right about now, because I could really use it."

I can feel my face burning in the crisp breeze, and I pat down my jacket pockets, searching for my phone but find nothing.

That asshole took my phone, and the only house close to here is Parker's.

He did this on purpose.

I push myself up and flip up the fleece collar of my jacket. I tuck my hands in my pockets and start walking back to the road.

-

I stare up at the door in front of me. I took in the appearance of the familiar red wood and silver accents.