Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter 38 - Just Friends

"You what?!" Mallory slammed her phone down on the table.

"I kissed him." I shrugged.

"Anna, why are you doing this?" Her face looked concerned and I wasn't sure why. I had this under control.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about." Who was she to judge my actions? I shouldn't be expected to wait around on Parker. I'm moving on.

"You're making things worse!"

"Things are already at their worst Mallory!" I argued back, becomming more and more aggitated by the second. Parker moved on. What wasn't she understanding? He was with Courtney and if that's what he wanted then I'm happy for him.

"They didn't have to be, but you just had to keep pushing it."

"Excuse me? He MOVED ON. I didn't push anything!"

"He moved on after YOU kept cocking off with him after you were already in the wrong!" She raised her voice and stood up, grabbing her things.

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT."

"Anna! My God! Can you ever just stop blaming other people, and take some fucking responsibility for your actions?! I get that he said some wrong things too, but you started this, and it was up to you to just be the mature one. But you always seem incapable of it. You get all vengence filled and you make these stupid rash decisions and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of listening to it and fixing it." She started walking off towards the sidewalk, angrily typing on her phone.

I stood and leaned over the picnic table, "I NEVER ASKED YOU TO FIX THINGS!" I yelled and flopped back down.

I looked down at the apartment applications in front of me.

So much for having help filling these out.

-

"So you went out with him?"

I glanced at Jake who sat comfortably on my couch beside me.

"I did."

"Anna." He rubbed his forehead, looking frustrated. "Parker is so pissed."

"Shouldn't his focus be on his girlfriend?" I huffed, picking up the remote and clicking on the TV.

"You are the most difficult being ever." Jake mumbled, kicking his feet up on the table and leaning back.

"So I've heard." I sighed, thinking back to my argument with Mallory. "Do I blame other people for things?" I shifted to my side, facing Jake.

"What do you mean?"

"I got into an argument with Mallory."

"You get into a lot of those lately, hey?" He chuckled but I wasn't amused.

"She said I don't take responsibility for my actions."

Jake shrugged, looking as though he didn't care to get into it. "I guess it depends on the way people look at things."

"How so?"

"No offense but I don't really want to hash this one out with you. Maybe just talk to Mallory about it. She's probably just moody with everything she has going on."

"Wait, what's going on?" I was confused. Last I checked, everything with Mallory was fine. She was in love, happy, and everything was going right for her.

"Well with the pregnancy and everything. Hormones, all that."

My jaw hit the floor.

"Pregnancy?" Shock was the only word I could use to describe how I was feeling.