Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter 35 - Good Riddance

Twirling my spoon around in my ice cream, I observed Mallory and Chase.

They were acting strange. They were two very romantic people, but lately it seemed almost overdone. The behavior started out of no where so I knew something was going on, and I intended to find out.

"You guys are really swooning lately." I smiled as they looked at me, blushing.

"We've just been reminiscing." Mallory grinned and leaned into Chase. He wrapped his arm around her back, and kissed the top of her head.

"About?" I inquired.

"Our first date." Mallory swooned some more, appearing to be completely love struck.

Although it was unusually sudden, it was nice to see her so happy.

"I'm assuming it was better than our first date?" I joked, chuckling as Chase stayed quiet.

"Oh? And what was your first date?" Mallory seemed amused by how uncomfortable Chase was. She always seemed to love making him squirm.

"You can tell her." I flopped my spoon in Chase's direction, not feeling like verbalizing how awful it was.

"Nah, that's alright." He scratched the back of his head and I couldn't figure why he was being so bashful. Mallory didn't care that he took me out. She knew very well that there was no true attraction between us, and he knew all of this. So there was no reason for him not to tell her.

"Okay..." I took another bite.

"Well I wanna hear it you guys." Mallory leaned into the table, setting her head in her hands and waiting for me to speak up.

I swallowed and cleared my throat. I just wanted to get to the point and make it quick. "Well you see, Chase invited me to that stupid annual drive in movie thing." I laughed. "They were playing gone with the wind, and he put these blankets and stuff in the back of his truck." I rolled my eyes. "Maybe it was perfect to him, but not my idea of a date at all."

Mallory sat still, her face growing redder by the second. It wasn't a humiliation or blushing kind of red. It was more like her eyes turned a shade darker, her temples were twitching, and I swear that at any moment, steam would roll from her ears.

She was pissed about something.

She turned towards Chase, eyes glaring him down. She could rip out his soul with that look. "You took her on our date?!" She roared.

I peeked over my shoulder to see everyone in the diner watching her. "Mallory, keep it down." I put my hand on her wrist but she shot up.

"I will not! You repeated our date?!" She smacked Chase on the shoulder.

"I didn't deliberately do it!" He covered his head as a precaution. "It just happened to be going on when I asked her out."

"There's other places to go!" She looked like she was ready to lose it on him.

Mallory suddenly took a deep breath, biting her tongue and her body dropped into her chair.

"Mallory?" I turned around to see what she was looking at.

Parker walked into the diner with Jake and Courtney. I slowly turned back towards Chase and Mallory, ignoring their presence.

"I wonder where Troy is." I kept my voice quiet.

Nobody said a word.

"Okay then." I rolled my eyes and took a bite of the chocolate deliciousness.