2

2

I hate lunch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's just really horrible when you don't have a single person to sit next to. You know you're weird when even the nerdy kids look at you like you're a freak.

After failing to find a single empty seat in the cafeteria, I dumped my full tray in the trash and left. Today, it felt like everybody intentionally spread themselves out so I wouldn't have anywhere to sit.

I nearly bumped into Luke Daniels, but caught myself. I quickly redirected myself out of his way and muttered an apology. Getting on his bad side isn't on my list of to-do's.

"Wait!" He called, catching up with me with ease. "Bobbi, right? You like to talk?" A small smile played on Luke's lips, which I saw from the corner of my eye since I was too scared to actually look at him.
"Y-yea." I stuttered, shyly.

I don't really know what it is about him, but it makes me feel uneasy.

"Mr. Connelly told me we are lab partners." You should've been more specific on who you liked to talk to, Bobbi; this is what you get.

"Y-yea." I said again.
"You sound like a broken record." He chuckled. His voice was so soft; when you look at Luke Daniels, you expect a cold, hard voice. That's not what it sounds like right now, though. Actually, his voice is oddly calming.
"Sorry." I murmured. That is one word I have said enough to learn how to say it without stuttering.
"For someone who likes to talk, I seem to be doing most the talking." He commented.

Why is he talking to me? Why is he walking next to me? Why isn't he shunning me like the rest of the school? Why?

"I'm just shy." I was proud of myself for being able to get that much out. I already have horrible social anxiety, it's only worse in this case because, not only is it social, it's Luke Daniels im being social with.

"I've noticed," he chuckled. "It's okay, though, I don't mind. I like to talk, too."
In all honesty, I couldn't stop myself from smiling a little. Maybe he's not so terrifying after all. The bell rang and I involuntarily groaned.
"Let's not go to class?" Luke suggested. I furrowed my eyebrows and gave him a questioning look. "I don't like school and you don't like being in class with those people, so let's take a day off."

Dad would not be happy about this, no, no, no. However, I don't want to pass up an opportunity to actually make a possible friend.

And so I said, "sure."

In the bunch of students walking around the hallways, some rushing to class and some taking their sweet ole' time, Luke and I walked out of the school.

"What do you want to do?" Luke asked.
"I've never done this before." I confessed, as if it wasn't already obvious enough.
"I could've guessed that. Well, what about just walking around for like an hour, until the class is over?" He suggested. I shrugged and nodded.

This could be a horribly stupid decision on my part, but I'm just at the point of being extremely desperate for a friend.

Luke and I walked off school grounds side by side.

"What's the most rebel thing you've ever done?" Luke asked me.
"I yelled at a teacher a couple times before." I said. In reality, it wasn't really me that was yelling, more of my anxiety than anything.

"Not bad, not bad." Luke had a somewhat surprised look on his face.
"What about you?" I asked.
"I've gotten in a couple fist fights, causing suspensions here and there, but that's about it." Naturally, I expected Luke to have much more on his permanent record than a couple suspensions.
"Are you sure skipping class is a good idea? I think we are doing a lab today." I was now beginning to regret my decision of skipping class with Luke.
"It's not a good idea, but I promise we're not missing anything. I went to his classroom to see what I missed yesterday and asked what we were doing today. We're working on a project with our lab partner." He explained.
"Oh," was all I said.