14

14
PS: read authors note at the end of the chapter! :)

It's Friday. Today is the day of Ryan's birthday party. Tomorrow is homecoming. Today I'm meeting Luke's mom and the rest of his family. I was so nervous.

"Guess what?" Chandler said to Luke and I as he walked into the classroom. Class had yet to begin, but Chandler was to school later than usual since he wasn't in the cafeteria with us.
"What?" Luke asked, leaning back in his chair.
"My mom moved my appointments around for the doctor, I had one this morning, hence why I just got here, and I had one last night. Now I don't have to be late for homecoming and I can go to Ryan's birthday party." He explained. Chandler was out again yesterday, but from food poisoning. He told me he could not stop throwing up from it. He's really unlucky when it comes to staying healthy.
"Awesome, man." Luke grinned. Then the bell rang to signal the start of the day. I turned around in my chair while Chandler went to his spot diagonal from me.

Yesterday, Ms. Snowden was out, I wasn't able to talk to her about my mother at all. Dr. Willis suggested it wasn't a good idea, at least not so soon, but I really wanted to hear more about my mom from someone's else's view.
I looked at her different now, Ms. Snowden; it was hard looking at her as my teacher and not as my mom's childhood best friend.
I told Luke that Ms. Snowden had known my mom because I just felt like I wanted to someone to know... Someone besides somebody that is obligated to know, like my dad and Dr. Willis. A friend. I wanted a friend to know.

"Good morning, class. Sorry I was out yesterday without warning; I had some family things to deal with." Ms. Snowden then went over attendance and announced that we are checking over the sub work we did yesterday. She seemed really out of it today, compared to how she normally is.

With 20 minutes left of class, Mrs. Jean had poked her head in the room and Ms. Snowden looked very relieved that she was taking time away from her class.

"Luke Daniels, you're leaving." Mrs. Jean said. For a moment, Luke didn't move. He looked mad. Ms. Snowden then rose an eyebrow at him and he moved.
"Where are you going?" I whispered to him as he put all of his stuff away.
"To see my dad." He muttered, slinging his backpack over his shoulder and leaving the classroom.

Luke hates his dad so much. I hope he tells me why soon. I hate seeing him so mad about his dad all the time and not knowing what to say because I don't know what his dad did to make him hate him so much.

At the end of class, I looked at my phone to find a text from Luke apologizing for his attitude toward me and that he would be back by lunch. He really didn't need to apologize, though.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked Chandler, receiving tonight's homework from Ms. Snowden as we walked out the door, taking another sheet for Luke as well.

I decided not to bombard her with questions about my mom today. She didn't really seem like she was in the mood for being interrogated by a 16 year old.

"A lot." Chandler confirmed. "Feels good to be able to walk away from the toilet and not puke every 15 minutes." I chuckled.

Just as Luke promised, he was back in time for lunch. I was taken by surprise when he sat down next to me and put his arm around my shoulders.

"You're not eating?" I questioned. All he had in front of him was a half empty water bottle.
"My mom got us lunch on our way back here." He explained.
"Oh yeah," I remembered, "I forgot to tell you Amanda and I got you and Chandler tied for homecoming that match our dresses." I said that part to both Luke and Chandler, who was right across from me. I wasn't sure if Amanda told him.

Next to Chandler was Amanda, and they have been talking to each other for the whole lunch period. Things really seem to be going great for them both. I'm happy for them.