Epilogue

Epilogue

*2 years later*

I was practically shaking with anticipation as I shoved the warmest clothes I own into my suitcase.

Hopefully it'd be enough for New York. Winter in New York is a polar opposite to winter in California. New York was just that actually — polar.

Dad knocked on my door then stepped inside with Maya. "Here, Maya and I got you something." He handed a lilac colored gift bag to me. I stopped shoving the random clothes into my suitcase and opened the bag.

Inside was a black winter jacket that looked incredibly warm.

"Thank you," I smiled up at the two of them.

They've been seeing each other for the past two years and I've gotten to know Maya a lot better. I know longer struggled with calling her Maya; in fact, it was a habit, even at school.

"It's going to be especially cold for you guys since you're so adapted to our nicer weather," Maya pointed out as she sat my desk chair and Dad remained leaning against the doorframe.

"I know, but I'm excited!"

Though I've had my ups and downs and good days and bad days, I can honestly say the past two years have been good. A lot has happened since two years ago, too.

For starters, Luke and I broke up roughly eight months ago. I couldn't really explain why, though. Our relationship wasn't the same; things had always been easy between us, but then they suddenly began to get impossible. We're still friends though, very close friends. In fact, I consider him my best friend. We've been through too much together to let go of our friendship altogether. I would miss him too much.

I now only see Dr. Willis once a week and the only meds I take are for my anxiety when I feel an attack coming on.

I've become more sociable, too. Luke and I had grown closer with Jillian after we'd returned from winter break sophomore year. She'd met her dad at that point and seemed to be a changed person. Along with her, we befriended other girls, too. I finally had made my own friends, besides Luke, that weren't my designated friends thanks to my dad.

Finally, on Christmas, which was two days ago, Luke invited me to go to New York with him for a senior trip. It'd be just him and I, no one else. I was nervous, and I didn't even think my dad would agree, but I said yes anyway. Later, when I brought it up to Dad, he explained that Luke confronted him about it first before asking me.

Always the gentleman.

That brings me to my reasoning behind my packing. Tomorrow, I'm going to New York with Luke Daniels, the son of the man responsible for my mom's death, my ex-boyfriend, and my current best friend.
We were going to see snow for the first time. Or at least, I was going to be seeing snow for the first time.

I was beyond excited, honestly. Even if I was going to miss my dad.

"B, Maya and I wanted to talk to you about something."

Oh no.

"Okay," I agreed as I grabbed the ends of my sleeves to keep myself busy. Some habits die hard I guess.

Maya and him exchanged glances from across the room, making me even more nervous. Whether I've gotten better at fighting my anxiety or not, it's still there and it's always going to be, and this whole situation is not helping.

"Maya and I have been talking. I mentioned that I wanted another kid and she said she's always wanted a baby."

They are, like, nearly forty. There's no way they are trying to have another baby. Is there?