6

6

I took a seat in the cafeteria. Today, I didn't need to come to school early, but Luke had texted me and asked me to. I figured why not.

Not a minute after I sat down, Luke sat down across from me.

"Good morning." He smiled, poking my arm in the process.
I couldn't help the small smile that made its way on my face at his happiness. "Morning."
"How are you?" In my few weeks of knowing Luke, I've never seen him in such a good mood.
"I'm good." I replied, honestly. "What about you? You seem like you're in a good mood."
Luke shrugged and nodded, I guess confirming he was in a good mood. "Want to know something?"
I bit my lip and nodded. "Sure, why not?"
"My mom had breast cancer a year ago, and she had her yearly checkup this yesterday. Her doctor cleared her; she's officially cancer free."
I real, genuine smile made its way on my face, but it probably look painful. I was fighting back a whole river of tears. I don't know exactly why I was about to cry. Like, I guess it's just I would never wish it upon anyone to lose a parent and it makes me extremely thankful, yet selfishly jealous, that his mom survived and is okay.

It's really confusing, but I was truly happy that she was clear. I doubt Luke could tell though.

"Bobbi, are you okay? What's wrong?" Luke asked, quickly. He put his hand on top of mine, cocking his head to the side.
I chuckled, trying to laugh off my embarrassment. "Yeah, I'm fine."
"What happened? Did I say something?"
"No, no, you're fine, Luke." I assured him. "My mom died, you know? I know breast cancer doesn't mean you're going to die or anything, but it's scary. I don't want to see anyone suffer from losing a parent, knowing how bad it sucks. So, I'm really glad your mom is okay." I explained, biting the inside of my cheek as I spoke. I probably made zero to no sense, but I tried.
Luke rubbed my hand, which was underneath his, with his thumb. Instead of saying anything, he continued to run my hand. It was soothing and I wasn't freaked out or nervous, or anything.

After a couple minutes of soothing silence, Amanda had plopped down on the same side of the table as luke. Chandler sat next to me. Immediately, Luke's eyes fell upon him.

I pulled my hand away awkwardly. "Luke, this is Chandler, the new friend I told you about."
Chandler offered his hand in Luke's direction, but Luke just looked at it. "And Chandler, that's luke." I guess that answers my "will Luke like Chandler" question. Amanda didn't appreciate Luke's attitude toward Chandler, not that I did either, she just made it more obvious by glaring at the side of his face.
"Where's Chloe?" I asked Chandler and Amanda, trying to ease the awkwardness.
"With Riley. He's showing her around." Amanda shrugged.
"Can I see your schedule?" Chandler took a folded paper from his pocket and handed it to me. I unfolded it and scanned over the classes.

First period, meaning we have it with Luke, too. Luckily, we don't have 2nd period, the other class Luke and I have together. We had 3rd and last period, too. I also recognized that Luke and him had 5th period together.
I informed Chandler of that, minus the common class of Luke and Chandler, also adding that we also had last period with Riley.

"I'll see you in first period, Bobbi." Luke mumbled as he stood up and pulled his phone from his pocket.
Before I could even say anything, Luke was gone already out the door.

"I don't understand why you are friends with him, Bobbi." Amanda sighed, clearly annoyed.
I sighed. "He's not a bad guy once you get to know him." It was true, he is the best person, next to my dad, that I know.

At the sound of the warning bell, I stood up and said bye to Chandler and Amanda, so I could go walk to class. Luke was already in there, sitting in his desk in the back of the room on his phone.

He probably didn't want to speak to me, but I sat next to him anyway. I stared at the side of his head expectantly.

"What's wrong, Luke?" I finally asked. It was obvious he wasn't happy with me, but why? All I had done was introduce him to Chandler. I didn't know what the big deal was.
He sighed, "nothing, Bobbi, don't worry about it."
"Luke-"
"It's nothing, okay?" People started piling in the classroom so I stood up from next to Luke and went to the front of the classroom to my seat.