16

16

My heart dropped hearing Chandler say that. Leukemia... I should've guessed it was cancer with the easy bruising, random nosebleeds, and the infections. Those three symptoms scream cancer.

"My doctor told me that I didn't have much longer to live, but here I am 2 years later. I didn't go through with chemo. My doctor had said that my cancer was bad and the probability of the chemo helping me was slim and if it didn't help me, then I would spend my last few months even more sick than I already am.
So I chose no chemo. The nurses have been telling me since that it's not too late to go through with it, but I refuse. 2 years ago, they gave me 6 months to live. Now it's been two years. Two great years. The cancer has gotten worse and so has the pain. I've been given 2 months to live."

That sentence caused my breath to get caught in my throat.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I lost it. I started crying my eyes out, but I knew there was no judgement because everyone else around me was crying. Not Luke or the dad's. Our dad's all hugged their wives with friend etched on their faces. My dad kept a hand on Jaycee's shoulder as he stared off in shock. Luke just looked mad. I was confused.

"Why would you wait so long to tell us?" Luke questioned, standing up angrily. He had released my hand in the process. Before Chandler could answer, Luke left through the front door.
I pulled on my big girl pants and wiped away my tears. "I can talk to him." I whispered.
"No, I will." Chandler replied. I sat back down as we all watched Chandler follow Luke out the front door.

Dad sat down next to me where Luke was just sitting, and he hugged me.

Jaycee has always told me that she had hoped that none of us would have to go through the pain of losing a friend.
Chandler had basically just told us all he was dying and that there is nothing anyone can do to help him.
Jaycee was holding Amanda tightly as she cried. Amanda likes Chandler, and she just found out her time with him is now limited.

Luke's POV-

I don't know why, but I stormed out of the Garfield's house after Chandler told us about his cancer.

It's my anger getting the better of me again. I always get pissed over the wrong things. When I'm upset, I'm mad. When I'm jealous, I'm mad. When I'm annoyed, I'm mad. I'm always mad.

I thought for sure when my mom was cleared of cancer, it would be out of my life forever, or at least longer than a couple weeks. Then, I find out one of my best friends has leukemia. It fucking sucks.

"Luke, wait up!" I heard Chandler called behind me. I stopped, so he could catch up with me. When he fell into step beside me, we walked side by side in silence for a few moments. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner."
I shook my head. "I don't blame you. It sucks because I wasted so much time being a stubborn asshole."
"It was all real, though, and that is all I wanted. I came here because after I had my first in-school fall like I did at the dance, the word had gotten out fast that I had leukemia. I went from being made fun of for being the word kid who collapses randomly to the kid with cancer that everyone felt bad for.
I was tired of the pity. I wanted a fresh start with a complete chance of being normal for a little while longer. And I got that, while making some great friends along the way."
"I just don't understand how you're not freaked out about all of this." I muttered. I don't know how I'm not freaking out myself right now, personally.
"I've known for 2 years that I'm going to die. I've had time to come to terms with it." The first sentence came out thick-toned; however, the second sentence was weak and depressed.
"I'm sorry." I sighed. "You're 15 and just told me you've come to terms with the fact you're going to die. It's not fair."
"Life's not fair." Chandler shrugged.