30

30

"Good afternoon, Bobbi," Dr. Willis greeted as I walked in and made myself comfortable. "How was school?"

"Good," I nodded.

Strangely good. Everyone was feeling good after the successful trial yesterday and knowing Gordan was back behind bars.

"I got my Chem test back, and I got an A- when I thought I got a B."

I spent the next several minutes ranting about my grades to Dr. Willis; they were all A's and A-'s, but the percentage is often what irked me.

Especially 93's, borderline A's, but one percentage away.

"Since we didn't meet yesterday because of the trial, do you want to talk about it? I know I was there, but we weren't by each other."

I shook my head, declining. "I kept a pretty decent composure throughout it, honestly. As long as Matt was calm, I was relatively calm." Matt was really the only one that knew precisely what was going down as occurred, so if he was visibly calm then I saw no reason not to be as well.

"What about when Gordan came at Luke and Ryan?"

It wasn't easy for Dad to keep his cool when Gordan started threatening Luke and Ryan, and when he said he wished I would've died with my mother.

Sometimes I think that when Dad calls Dr. Willis to discuss things regarding me, he's moreover doing it because he, too, needs some therapeutic help. I think he really just wanted to talk over with her about how he felt during the trial, which I get. We all need someone to talk to every once and a while.

"It was scary," I admitted. "But I was surrounded by everyone who has always stood by me, so I didn't feel scared."

"Well, that's certainly good. Did it hurt to hear everyone bringing up your mother for the case?"

I nodded bleakly. "It always will, though, ya know? You can never get over the death of a loved one."

"Yep. All you can really do is learn to accept it, but that doesn't mean you can't mourn from time to time."

Like both my mom and Chandler. No matter how long either of them are gone, I will always love them and miss them, but I won't always cry over it.

"What are you plans for tonight?" Dr. Willis continued. She leaned back with her hands resting on her stomach, waiting.

"We are having a small gathering at the Garfield house to say goodbye to Matt and thank him again."

He paid us a huge favor, one that I'll be endlessly grateful for. So will the Daniels' and my dad, too.

"By small, you mean all of your father's friends?"

I laughed, nodding.

He and Jaycee called their group The Stanford Squad, making me cringe of course. It was small before everyone reproduced, making our non-biological family grow larger — us, the Garfield's, the Jenkins's, the Daniels, and Matt. Plus Chris, even though he went to a different university.

After therapy, Dad and I went home to change into clothes for the dinner. It was nothing fancy, but I decided to wear a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and nice burgundy blouse.

Amanda gave me some hand-me-downs, hence the sudden upgrade in wardrobe.

Another plus to having more life in me this past month or two is having the energy to actually look presentable on occasions.

Caleb's car was already in the driveway of the Garfield's house, so Dad just opened the front door to allow ourselves inside.

"With Caleb here, it's probably too loud to even hear a knock," Dad noted as he pushed open the door.