Chapter 3: A Successful Conspiracy

Incoming call

THEO

Seravina stared at her phone, doubting if she should answer it. She knew it would turn out like this! But if she rejected it, he would still call again anyway. Grunting to herself, she picked it up.

“Hello.”

“Hi,” Theo’s voice sounded cheerful over the line. But there was a lot of noise with him.

“Where are you?” Seravina’s curiosity slipped out of her mouth. Theo laughed.

“Wow, I never know you care that much about me. I’m in school, of course. Where else would I be at this hour?”

Seravina bit her lip. Of course, it was Monday. But then Theo said, “What about you?”

“I…” Seravina thought for a while. “I just moved to Louisiana a few days ago. My mother is still finding the right school for me. Her only job here is helping my aunt out in the kitchen, so really, I don’t put my hopes up.”

“Ah… I bet you’ll find it in the right time. I gotta go now, my next class is starting. Take care!”

“You too,” Seravina sighed. He called her just for that? This guy…

-

“Vina, you should check this out!”

Seravina could not believe her eyes as her mother put a pamphlet on her table. The design was simple and pleasing to her eyes. St. Salvatore School was written in bold in the centre of the cover. “I think it’s a leftover pamphlet that got lost in our front yard with the evening paper. So weird—but isn’t it good for us? It seems like a really good school!”

“Mom…” Seravina started, “that school is dead famous. Even back in Chicago, I’ve heard that school’s name many times because of their achievement in many music contests or something. And also their academics. I bet it’s like, super expensive, right?”

“I don’t need that pessimism, Sweetie,” her mother protested. Seravina did not say a thing—her mother looked much, much older now. The pressure she was facing after the divorce could easily be spotted all over her face. “Well, okay…”

“Now read me the number at the bottom, please,” her mother smiled as she took her phone.

How could that pamphlet appear there anyway?

-

“So how is it?”

A skinny guy gave Theo his thumb up. His feet were shaking in excitement, as if Theo's flat was a grand palace. His eyes looked around, savoring every view he could see. It was not everyday that he could be here. He tapped on an empty bag slung on his waist. “Don’t worry, everything is under my control.”

“Freakshows,” Destiny commented as she took a big bag of popcorn from the microwave. “Hey, what did your boss promise you if you did his favor this time, huh?”

“It’s a secret,” Theo winked at Destiny. But then he turned serious and faced the paper boy again. “You really get it right, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I sent that pamphlet with the evening news in the address you gave me. It’s the last place I passed through before I went home, so I won’t miss it.”

“I believe you,” Theo rubbed his hands together. “I can even feel that victory coming. Yes…”

“You disgust me,” Abram laughed. “Face it, it’s so clear that your Seravina girl won’t come any closer to you.”

-

Seravina gave her best ‘you-gotta-be-kidding-me’ look as she faced the mirror in her new school uniform. She had to admit, she was already in love with her new school because of their uniform. It did not feel as hot as she thought it would. The red checkered skirt, white blouse and gray blazer framed her body perfectly. She put on a pair of matching gray socks when Gregoria entered her room.

“That’s really pretty,” Gregoria looked at her. “I bet you’ll already have boys chasing you around by the end of the day!”

“Ah—“ Seravina could not utter her reply because as she picked her bag up, a pain stroke her chest and her head spun. Gregoria frowned. “You’re okay?”

“I am,” Seravina forced a smile. “I really am, Ria. Let’s go!”