Chapter 19: The Day

Sorry if it's kinda short. To make up for it, there are two, not just one but two songs in this chapter. Make sure you got your headsets on when reading! The next few chapters will still take place on the competition day too c:

Enjoy!

-

The annual music competition involved four big schools from Louisiana that would compete for one place. The winner would then compete against contestants from all over America in the Nationals round of the competition the following year. Of course, the place where the competition was held was a grand and wide auditorium in Port Allen. The seats were mostly filled with students from competing schools that came to cheer for their friends, but other than that, there were also local musicians, parents and teachers. Gregoria took a seat in the back to make sure she could see any signs of David.

Why was she this eager to see him?

-

“You look really pretty,” Destiny opened the curtain that separated her from the tiny dressing room in the backstage. Each competing school was provided with one backstage room where they could prepare everything. Seravina stared at herself in the mirror, silently admiring the white dress she was wearing. Abram was really reliable when it came to dress codes. He came up with different-styled white dresses for girls, while the boys wore different white shirts and black pants.

“I’ll do my best, Destiny,” she smiled. “It might just be a tiny line in our second song, but I’ll give it my all. I won’t bring you guys down.”

“You’ve… really evolved, you know, Seravina?” Destiny hugged her friend. “Anthony—he must be so proud of you.”

“That’s what I live for. To make him proud,” she nodded with determination.

“You’ll do great out there. Just… don’t think about Theo, okay?”

“I’m fine,” Seravina forced a smile.

“Yo guys! We’re up next,” Rodd dashed into the backstage room, already sweaty before even performing. “The Alvarez kids just finished their performance. I think so far, they’re topping the judges’ scoreboard.”

“You got all sweaty just for peeking their scoreboard?” Rachel scolded him. “Come on guys, positions!” She gave a short glance at Theo, who was watching their conversation without joining in. She tapped his back slightly. “Good luck.”

-

The large red curtains covering the stage were slided in opposite directions, showing an empty stage shone over by a single spotlight. A pleasant music intro was heard, led by Rachel on the keyboard. That was a big fat slap on Vidia’s face. She sank into her seat. That nerd realized Alavarez’s biggest weakness and made it their strength! An original, self-composed music intro. Of course Alvarez could not think of that.

Theo entered the stage, alone. The semi-formal white shirt he had on his body almost resembled how pale and sad he looked. Rachel held her breath in her seat, hoping Theo still got this performance in his hand.

I wanna know, whoever told you I was letting go

Of the only joy that I have ever known,

Girl, they’re lying…

Just look around,

And all of the people that we used to know

Have just given up, they wanna let it go

But we’re still trying…

So you should know this love we share,

Was never made to die…