Chapter 10: Anthony

The next morning, William arrived without Anthony. He was a big man in his mid-forties, with Anthony and Seravina’s green eyes. Seeing how awkward Seravina’s friends were around him, especially Theo, Gregoria decided that she and her aunt would do the talking.

“You really shouldn’t bring all this money,” Seravina’s mom started muttering, but he stopped her. “No matter what happens—she’s still my princess, Clarissa. How is she?”

“The doctors are inside with their usual morning check-up,” Gregoria explained. “I don’t know what kind of magic happened last night—but she was actually getting better.”

“But you still can’t find a donor,” William concluded from the disappointed look that was on everybody’s faces. He sighed. “Any signs of Anthony?”

“He just got the ticket this morning,” Gregoria checked her phone and showed Anthony’s text to William. “Straight to Port Allen, this evening, but yeah, he’s never been here.”

“I went straight by plane and took a cab here,” William frowned, but Theo waved his hand for attention. “Umm—Sir? I brought my car here. It’ll be great if you guys can trust me to pick Anthony up from the train station.”

“Somebody’s bootlicking his future in-laws,” Destiny pretended to cough. Abram and Rodd laughed, but they were cut off by Rachel’s whine. “Man, my mom is literally pleading for me to come home,” she stood up and turned to Seravina’s parents.”I really wanted to stay, but—“

“It’s okay. Thank you so much for coming,” Clarissa smiled. Rodd gave Rachel a look nobody understood, but somehow, Rachel nodded and said, “Okay.”

“Des, you’re coming?” Rodd took a car key from his pocket. “Come on, don’t lie—you’re still a girl too.”

“You totally went through my phone last night and read my mom’s rants, didn’t you,” Destiny scoffed, but she stood up too. “Don’t wanna be a third wheel, guys.”

“So now it’s just us,” Abram sighed as he lost another round in Fruit Ninja. He kept his phone and leaned back. “If this wasn’t for Seravina, I’d never—ever—lean on a hospital wall. Ever.”

Theo laughed, but his laugh soon faded as worry invaded his mind again. Would he really spend an entire week here, only to find out Seravina did not make it? He closed his eyes and soon drowned into a nap. A few hours later, he was awakened by Abram’s distant voice, “Dude. Dude! Gregoria’s phone is buzzing. Theo—Theo… I’ll make a swirl out of your drool if you don’t—“

“I’m up! Okay!” Theo shook his head few times and yawned.”Man, the problem with naps. Some can make you feel refreshed and new, but some make you feel all dizzy and forget what century you’re in. It’s always the second one for me.”

“Pick it up, Mister,” Abram scolded. Gregoria had left her phone with them when she took Seravina’s parents for lunch in her bakery shop. Theo looked at the name on the screen. Anthony.

“It’s him,” Theo said with a mixture of emotions Abram did not understand. “H-hello? No, this isn’t Ria. She’s out with William and Clarissa for a meal—I’m Theo, Seravina’s friend and… Okay. Got it. On my way—see you there.”

“What’s with all that tension? Abram looked at him. Theo ignored his best friend and handed Gregoria’s phone to him. “Sure you won’t need it?” Abram shouted as Theo left the corridor hurriedly.

“I’ll easily find him! Be right back,” he waved his car keys before leaving.

-

Anthony hopped off his train and looked around. Louisiana’s clean autumn air felt so much different than Chicago’s, so he inhaled deeply to replace the poor air his lungs had been filled with in the train. He did not see any sign of somebody looking for him—that guy named Theo…