Chapter 11: That Rainy Evening

“I don’t know that the hospital is this far,” Anthony looked around in confusion as Theo pressed his foot on the accelerator harder, slapping his hand on the horn. The rain had turned fiercer, and cars were literally racing to get the frontmost spot in the highway. “It shouldn’t be this far without the traffic,” Theo said furiously.

“Calm down—I can barely see anything now,” Anthony leaned forward to check the roads. “Hey—is your car okay?”

“I think something’s wrong with my left tyre,” Theo bit his lip. “Doesn’t matter, my car’s used to driving in such commotion.”

“But be careful,” Anthony raised his voice to defeat the stormy roars around him. But Theo did not—or refused to—listen to Anthony’s warning and kept driving as fast as he could. He had the only person who could cheer Seravina up in his car! He should get to the hospital soon. Every second mattered.

“Shit!” Theo was pulled out of his thoughts as he realized the stupid mistake he had made.

“What?”

“We’re in the wrong route. This is going to the opposite side,” Theo cursed, his face turned pale. “I’m sorry.”

“Well, at least this route is not so jammed,” Anthony nodded. “Just slow down. It’s almost impossible to see if any car is driving towards us.”

“Hope there isn’t,” Theo obeyed Anthony and slowed down. After a while without any sign of a car travelling head-on to them, Theo shifted gears and sped up. “Yeah, baby!”

But just as he began to travel faster, a loud horn echoed through the rain and stung their ears. Anthony grasped Theo’s arm as round yellow lights that came from a truck appeared in front of them.

“Look out!” Anthony screamed, but it was useless.

“Shit—“ Theo pressed the brake as hard as he could, but his surroundings turned hazy. The next moment, he felt something really hard stab him in the head. Everything went dark. He knew he was thrown out of his car because sharp raindrops pierced his skin like thorny arrows. He was sure he bled severely. The next pain he felt, even worse than before, was when the shattered glass from his car windows hit his bare arms. Like a movie that was ending, everything—the light, the sound—faded away from him, as if he was dragged into a very different place.

“This one is still breathing!”

“Oh, God, his wounds are so bad!”

“Shit—this one is trapped between the door! Any help?”

“I’ll carry this one—he can still be saved.”

“This one’s dead. He’s dead…”

-

“It’s impossible!”

Gregoria sought her balance by dropping both hands on the table as tears streamed down her face. “This can’t be true…”

“I’m sorry,” the hospital administrator said. “But we successfully traced the victim’s identity from his backpack and he has an ID. From Chicago—twenty years old, Anthony Harvelle.”

Gregoria hoped that somehow, she would wake up in her bakery store and this was all a nightmare. Seravina was badly sick, and now, Anthony passed away?

He just got here.

He just wanted to see his little sister.

He could just be the only person who was able to make her feel better.

And now, he was gone.

“But fortunately, the doctors just pronounced the other victim alive. He has some severe wounds on his limbs, but there isn't any serious injuries in his head or other vital organs,” one of the nurses said. “He did not bring anything with him, so we do not know who he is." Abram stood up. “It’s my roommate. Theodore Savero. He does not live with his parents, but I know their address and number too.”

“Are you sure, Sir? Could you please come with us? It’s for administration purposes.”

“I will. I will,” Abram did not even bother to tidy his hair. Rodd stared at him blankly. He never saw Abram in this state. “This is just… what you call those hoodoo days, isn’t it? I just missed a few hours here and this is what happened?” Rachel covered her face and cried, and Rodd circled his lean arm around her.

“We should be strong. For Vina,” Destiny sobbed. “She’s sleeping peacefully now—don’t let our cries wake her up.”

But just after she said that, Gregoria came back, crying even worse than she did before. Her crying stopped a little when she saw Rodd literally hugging Rachel.

“What is it?” Rachel turned to her. Gregoria sighed. “I… honestly don’t understand those twisted adults. They’re all—“

“Where are they now?” Rodd was thankful William and Clarissa were not around. He could bear with Rachel and Destiny crying, but the victim’s very own parents—he just could not imagine how they felt. As if the pain of seeing their daughter's life hanging on the thread was not enough... why should Anthony leave like this?

“They’re discussing with the doctors…” Gregoria wiped her tears. “Because Anthony happens to—he happens to be a perfect donor for Seravina.”

-

“What is it now?” Seravina looked at the team of doctors exhaustedly. Gregoria held her hand, hoping that Seravina would not spot her swollen eyes or hoarse voice. “I promise you, after this—you’ll be fine. I promise.”

“Get well soon, Seravina. We’re praying for you,” Dean rubbed his hands and smiled at the girl lying on the white bed. “Don’t be scared!”

“Thanks, Dean—where’s Theo?” Seravina knew she needed his encouragement more than anyone’s. That question struck everybody with silence.

“Theo… he—“

“He’s… on his way to pick Anthony up,” one of the doctors decided to speak. A smile blossomed on Seravina’s face and they could tell she was instantly feeling better. “Are you serious? Anthony will be here?”

“He will,” Gregoria answered before looking away from her.

“I can’t wait to see him,” Seravina laughed happily. “I knew it! He promised he would come. I knew Anthony would never break a promise. I can't wait! I miss... Anthony...” and then she closed her eyes and her voice faded as the doctors placed an anesthesized mask over her face.