Chapter 2

Jesse

“We’re home!” I yelled as Chance and I walked into the big house.

Chance tossed his backpack to the side, not caring if it was in the way or not. “And why can’t I bite the girl?” he asked. Actually, it was more like a whine. “It’s just one girl. Who cares if she goes missing?”

“You know better than that Chance,” a deep voice came from the top of the stairs. We both turned to see father slowly make his way down to us. “One girl leads to another, and then we’re swimming in dead bodies.”

Chance rolled his eyes, pushing past father. “Screw you.”

“Don’t take that tone with me!” father yelled after Chance as he walked up the stairs.

Chance didn’t even turn around to look at him, he just lifted a hand and flipped him off, then turned down the hall and headed to his room.

Father sighed, looking to the side. “And that is why it is unwise to turn teenagers.”

I scratched the back of my head. “Well, I thought I turned out pretty good.”

“Of course you did.” Father turned and smiled to me. “You are one of the best behaved vampires I know. But your brother,” he shook his head then started walking into the sitting room. “So, do you know this girl your brother wishes to drain?”

“Yes sir,” I answered, following him. “She’s in one of my classes as well. She seems a bit odd, but is rather beautiful.”

“Beautiful?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I shrugged. “For a human at least.”

He turned around and grabbed one of the crystal containers off the table, pouring the liquid into a glass and taking a sip. “Keep a close eye on this girl for me. Nothing good can come from your brother’s interest in her and the last thing we need is another mess to clean up.”

I nodded. “Yes sir. Will that be all?”

He gave a nod and a wave of his hand, signaling that I could go. I bowed my head then quickly left the room.

To be honest, that man still creeps me out. He wasn’t actually our father, but in the vampire world he was as close as you could get. He’s the one that turned us. Now, Chance and I were actual brothers, twins to be exact. Something about us caught father’s eye and he decided to turn the both of us. Yippee. Chance still hadn’t forgiven him for what he’d done.

“Chance,” I called, knocking on his door.

“Fuck off!” He yelled back.

“It’s me, idiot.”

The door suddenly opened and Chance glared at me from behind that long hair of his. “No shit Sherlock.”

He turned around and walked back into his room. He left the door open, so I took that as an invitation to come in and did, closing the door behind me.

“Why are you so mad at me tonight?”

He glanced at me then looked back to his CD collection. “Because you always suck up to that murdering ba-“

“Hey!” I said quickly, cutting him off. “That murderer has good hearing you know.”

“Yeah, I know.” He smirked then leaned toward the door and yelled, “Stop eavesdropping!”

I sighed. “You really shouldn’t provoke him. It’s been over a hundred years since all that happened, can’t you at least be decent to him now? He’s all we’ve got.”