Chapter 7

Elizabeth

It was Monday morning and I was still trying to tell myself it was all just a stupid joke. But at least I was starting to believe it now.

Jack and I had gotten to school pretty early, since he needed to talk to a teacher, so I was sitting outside on a small ledge, enjoying the nice day. Granted, it was still cold enough to need a jacket, it was winter after all, but it was the warmest day in awhile so I was enjoying it.

The place I was sitting was out of the way and away from where most people usually hung out. So, it surprised me when I noticed someone walking up and stopping in front of me.

“Hey, how are you doing?”

“Good,” I said cautiously, not really sure if it was Chance or Jesse.

“Good,” he leaned back on the ledge, just a foot or two beside me. “How was your weekend? I heard it was rather eventful.”

“Um, yeah.” I could have sworn this was Chance, by the vocal cues and all that I’d started to pick up on lately, but why would Chance ask me that? So it had to be Jesse, right?

“Heard Chance tried to make a move and you turned him down. Do you not like him or something?” Now I was really confused. Jesse didn’t really talk like that.

Then as if to put my mind at ease, the wind blew through and I caught the scent of Chance’s cologne. I sighed then reached over and smacked his shoulder hard, not thinking.

“You’re such a jerk Chance!”

I suddenly wondered if I really should have done that. If Chance was what I was thinking he was last night, then maybe I shouldn’t be hitting him. In fact, I should probably be running the other way.

He laughed. “What gave me away?”

But it was all a joke. That’s what I had been telling myself, right? And the way he was acting now, like any other normal teenage boy, there was no way he could be that. That didn’t even exist. Apparently, I’d seen slash listened to too many horror movies.

I shook the thoughts from my head. “Jesse doesn’t talk like that.”

I heard his clothes brush against the stone ledge as he moved slightly. “Like what?”

“Like an idiot. He’s more refined.”

That made him crack up laughing. “Refined my ass! He’s really got you fooled, hasn’t he?”

Jesse isn’t all gentlemanly? But that’s what he seemed like to me. Of course, Chance was his brother and brothers lie about each other to girls all the time. But then again, Jenna had also told me that Jesse was actually really creepy. So did I believe them, or my own judgment?

I shook my head. “And then your cologne really gave you away, it always does.”

“Hmm,” he leaned closer. “But I had you there for a minute, right?”

I crossed my arms. “I was suspicious from the moment you walked up.”

“Aw! You’re just too stubborn to admit it. It’s okay, you can admit that I tricked you, just like you can admit that you want me.”

I turned and tilted my sunglasses down so he could see me glaring at him before moving them back again. “I do not want you, so just leave me alone!”

“Chance, cut it out,” Jesse’s stern voice said from behind me.

I waited for a minute and listened a little longer, not wanting to fall for another one of Chance’s tricks.