Chapter 3

Elizabeth

I was walking to first period when someone came up beside me.

“Hey, what’s up?” Holy crap, Chance was back to screw with me again. I just knew it.

“Just leave me alone already!”

“Whoa, what’s wrong? What’d I do?” Oh no, it wasn’t Chance, it was Jesse and I’d just yelled at him!

“Oh, I’m sorry!” I said quickly, turning my head toward him. “I wasn’t paying attention and I thought you were Chance! I’m so sorry Jesse.”

“You sure do confuse the two of us a lot,” he said, a hint of a smirk in his voice, “You’re probably the only one.”

I shrugged. “Guess I just don’t pay attention much.”

“Yeah, so I take it Chance has been bothering you this morning.”

Talk about an understatement. “You could say that.”

He sighed and it sounded like he scratched his head. “I’ll talk to him, see if I can get him to back off.”

I smiled to him as we walked into the classroom. “Thanks, I’d really appreciate it.”

As we sat down, I heard Jenna take her seat beside me. “EEEEEEE,” she squealed, “I’m so excited for tonight!”

“What’s tonight?” Jesse asked from the other side of me.

“Well, eh.”

“Our own personal party!” Jenna exclaimed when I didn’t answer quick enough.

“A party?” There was a small laugh in his voice. “What are you celebrating?”

“Bethy – eh, well,” she paused for a second, trying to think of what to say. We were actually celebrating me making it through my first week at a normal school, but she couldn’t tell him that without having to explain the blind thing.

“Making it through her first week at a new school, I guess.” She made it sound like we hadn’t actually defined why we were having the party and acted like that was why she was stumbling over it.

She must have been convincing because Jesse just leaned back in his chair and replied. “Sounds like fun.”

“Oh, it’s going to be,” she answered, a hint of a devious tone in her voice. Oh great, now what was she up to?

“You’re what!?”

“Going on a date tonight!” Jenna said for the second time. “Come on Bethy, I found another ten, how could I just let him go!? And he’s my kind of ten too, with longer hair all in his eyes and –“ she sighed, “He is just so hot!”

“Fine, whatever, what time will you be back? We’re supposed to be having a sleepover slash mini party, remember?”

“Oh, I remember,” there was a grin in her voice that made me a little nervous. “And it’s not what time will I be back, it’s what time will we be back!”

“What!?” Oh no, she better not be saying what I thought she was saying.

“Oh yes!” I could hear her jumping around my room, getting really excited. “He asked me out then asked if I had a friend I could bring. Said his brother has been moping around the house lately and needed to get out. So I’m bringing you!”

“Great,” I rolled my eyes, and since I wasn’t wearing my sunglasses, I was pretty sure she saw. “You stick me with the brother that’s been moping around.”