Chapter 14

Elizabeth

Jack had tried to make me skip my first two periods, which I had with the twins, but I refused. No way was I going to get behind in my school work because of them!  He eventually caved and let me go.

But it turns out there was no need for him to worry, because the first period bell just rang and Jesse was nowhere to be seen.  Or in my case, to be heard. Maybe he and Chance went to the nurse to get bandaged up, or maybe they just went home deciding to skip.

I sighed and shook my head. I really needed to focus on my work. What good was coming to class if I wasn’t going to pay attention? But I couldn’t, not with so many things running through my head. Maybe I just needed a little break, maybe a trip to the water fountain would clear my mind.

I raised my hand, asking if I could get a drink, and the teacher quickly said yes in a very sweet voice. I wasn’t sure if all my teachers acted like that with me because they were actually nice people and genuinely like me or if they just didn’t ever want to say no or be mean to the blind girl. Oh well, it didn’t really matter right now.

I hurried out of the room then slowed my pace as I walked down the hallway, trying to clear my mind. It was going pretty well until I heard two very familiar voices. I couldn’t make out what they were saying, but I definitely knew who it was; Jesse and Chance.

I lifted a hand, not wanting to bump into anything, and slowly followed the voices. A few moments later my finger tips touched glass. Glass? Was it a window? . . . Yep, it’s a window. I held my ear to the window then smiled to myself. The two of them were arguing outside.

So I know curiosity killed the cat, but I couldn’t help it. They were such odd people and I wanted a peak into some of their secrets. Something I might get if I slipped outside and listened in on their conversation.

Moving as quietly as I could, I walked down the hall and slipped out the door, slowly and quietly moving down the side of the building and stopped right at the corner. Lucky for me there were standing pretty close to my corner and I could hear everything they said.

Jesse

“You just loved watching him beat the crap out of me, didn’t you?” Chance growled, his eyes glowing and his fangs bared. We had been at it for five minutes and he was still too worked up to retract his fangs.

“Actually,” I said with a smirk, “I did quite enjoy that.”

“It was torture having to let him beat me when I could of easily killed him with one hit!” He was pacing back and forth now, not able to stand still. “But no! I couldn’t kill him or even hurt him! Because he’s her brother! Do you know how hard that was!?”

I grinned. “Well you did deserve it.”

He stopped suddenly and spun around, glaring at me. “Why? Because I spoke poorly of your precious Elizabeth? She doesn’t want you, you know.”

My jaw tightened. “Be quiet.”

Chance smirked, moving closer. “She would never want a cold, dead thing like you. She’s pure good, brother, and you’re pure fucking evil.”

I growled low. “Then she wouldn’t want you either.”

That made him stop for a second. I wasn’t sure why just yet, but Chance definitely wanted to win her over. Most likely it was just his latest challenge. For a brief second he actually looked upset, but he quickly narrowed his eyes at me, clearly pissed.