Chapter 17

Elizabeth

My breath caught in my throat and I froze, still laying in the snow. Siena giggled wickedly and this horrible scratching sound echoed through the woods, like something sharp digging into a tree.

“Oh yes,” she said in an evil voice, “killing you seems like the best way.” The snow crunched in front of me and Siena’s face was soon leaned down close to mine. “Are you ready to die?”

I gasped and jumped up, finally able to move. I hurried through the snow, stumbling ever other step, with my hands slightly in front of me in case I ran into another tree. Siena kept giggling, the sound echoing off the trees so I couldn’t tell where she was. She was following me, I just knew it.

Why wouldn’t she just grab me and do it already? The not knowing was way worse.

I suddenly ran into something hard and let out a small yip. It didn’t register that I’d run into a person until he put an arm around me. Not really caring who it was at this point, I pushed my face into his chest and took deep, sobbing breaths.

Wait. I took another deep, slower breath in. That scent.

“Chance,” I whispered.

He pulled me closer to him and I felt his chest rumble as he growled low. “Siena. Get down here now!”

There was the sound of crunching snow a few feet away. “Kill joy,” she said in that playful voice.

Chance let out a vicious growl that made me jump. Apparently Siena jumped too because the snow crunched softly as she stumbled back.

“Look what you’ve done to her,” he growled.

“It’s not that bad,” she said quietly in a childlike, pouting voice. “Just a few bruises.”

Chance growled again. “She’s bleeding. I can smell it. And she’s freezing cold.”

Siena sighed, but took another small step back. “I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“You hurt her,” he said in a voice that was so controlled, it was scary. “Now you’ll be lucky to escape with your life.”

There was no joking tone in his voice, he was dead serious. Chance was ready to kill Siena. She knew it too and started taking slow steps back.

“No one hurts the ones I care about.” Chance gently pulled me off him and stepped around me.

I shivered as the cold wind hit my bare arms and turned my head, trying to hear what was happening. There was another vicious growl as Chanced raced forward, then Siena ran for her life.

Jesse

As soon as I had realized that Chance wasn’t in the clearing anymore, I took to the woods. I was surprised to pick up on Siena’s scent and even more surprised to smell a hint of Elizabeth’s blood in the air.

I imagine Chance had picked up on it before me and was off to play hero. As I got closer, I heard the sounds of a fight. It wasn’t long before it all came into view.

Chance was chasing Siena around the trees, growling low with his fangs bared. Siena looked scared to death as she desperately tried to take shelter in the trees, but just as she’d start to climb, Chance would grab hold of her and throw her hard into another tree trunk.

She was already covered in bruises and blood, but Chance wasn’t satisfied. I was about to step in and stop it when I saw Elizabeth curled up against a tree.