Chapter 23

Chance

 I clenched my fists as I walked down the hall. When I got up this morning, I went to find Jesse and surprise surprise, he wasn’t in his room. He also wasn’t in either sitting room, the dining room, any spare bedrooms, or even the kitchen where I thought he might be cooking his precious human some breakfast. That only left one place he could be, and if he was in there, lord help him.

My hand closed around the handle to Elizabeth’s temporary room and I slowly opened the door. My eyes quickly adjusted to the dark then immediately narrowed. Lizzy was still fast asleep in her bed and Jesse was laying behind her, his face pressed to the back of her head and his arm wrapped around her.

I growled and let go of the handle before I broke it. In a flash I was across the room and grabbed the back of Jesse’s shirt, jerking him out of the bed. He immediately jumped up and pulled away, narrowing his eyes at me.

Before he could say anything, I pulled back my fist and snapped it forward. I grinned as I saw him stumbling backward; for once I actually caught him by surprise and was able to nail him right in the face. He growled and tackled me to the ground.

We struggled for a minute, staying as quiet as we could then both froze as we heard Lizzy stir. When she was quiet for five counts I pushed Jesse off me, rolling over on him and connecting my fist with his jaw.

He growled and hit me hard in the side of the head, making me fall to the side. I held my head for a second then started to sit up, seeing Jesse lifting his fist.

Lizzy mumbled and Jesse’s fist froze in mid-air. I held my breath and glanced behind Jesse, when I saw she was still I let out my breath. Quickly, I jumped to the side as Jesse followed through with his punch, just missing me.

I jumped up and stumbled back into a small table, making it knock against the wall. Jesse and I both froze, looking to Lizzy. Nothing. He raced toward me and I reached behind me, purposely knocking the table to the ground with a loud thud.

He froze a foot in front of me, looking over at Lizzy. I smirked at the distraction then kicked his legs out from under him. He fell to the ground, hitting his head on the side of the bed as he did, and grabbed my leg, pulling me down with him.

I fell over him then jumped back before he could hit me. Lizzy mumbled something and we froze again, both our fists mid-air. After another five seconds of silence we both followed through with our hits. Unfortunately, Jesse dodged my fist as his collided with my head.

I fell backwards and Jesse quickly stood up then froze as Lizzy mumbled a hello. We both held our breaths, hoping she wouldn’t notice us. I craned my neck, looking up at the bed as she sat up, turning her head back and forth, listening.

Jesse took a slow step back, toward the door and I slowly stood up, staying quiet. He looked at me then back to her and this caring smile came onto his face. I growled then sprang forward, tackling him out the door and rolling through the hallway.

“What the hell is your problem!?” Jesse yelled to me as he shoved me off and stood up.

“You are!” I yelled back

He narrowed his eyes. “Just because I like her?”

I clenched my fists. “Because you’ll make her fall for you and think she’s safe, then you’ll kill her!”

Elizabeth

I sat there in my bed, waiting for them to come back. I’d heard a growl then fighting and now I could hear the boys yelling at each other, though my heart was beating to loud for me to hear what they were saying.