Chapter 30

Elizabeth

Both were silent for a moment then spoke nearly at the same time. “Do what!?” Chance yelled.

“El,” Jesse groaned. “Why didn’t you say something before?”

“No, it’s fine,” I said quickly, “It’s usually not that bad, I can do this.”

“But El, you know that you’re going to have to-“

“I know!” I said quickly, not wanting to think about it. “But it’s going to be fine. I’ll just think about something else and it’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?” Jesse asked.

I smiled and nodded, not wanting to mess anything up or be a pain. “Now someone start talking and distract me so I can take my mind off the fact that I’m stuck, underground, in a cave . . . with stone walls all around . . . small space . . .”

“I can distract you,” Chance said, a smirk in his voice. His arm was suddenly around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

“Not like that!!” I yelled, pulling back, but Chance didn’t let go. “Jesse!”

“Relax, I just wanted to dance,” Chance said in an innocent voice.

Jesse chuckled from somewhere behind me. “Are you actually blushing, Chance?”

“Am not!” He yelled back, tensing slightly. “Don’t say that! She’ll think you’re serious.”

“But you are,” Jesse teased.

“Liar,” his voice got slightly louder as he faced me. “He’s lying, I am not.”

I smirked. “Chance, are you blushing?”

Chance let go, stepping back. “Fine, no dancing for you. And for the record, I do not blush.”

Jesse started laughing and I joined in, stopping after a moment. “If you say so.” I held a hand out. “Can you really dance?”

“Can I dance? Psh.” He took my hand in his, placing his other hand on my waist. “I can do the swing, tango, jitterbug,”

“the Charleston, Samba, Lindy hop,” Jesse continued.

“Eh,” Chance cut in, “Not so good at the lindy hop; it goes too fast and I usually end up dropping someone.” I laughed but he just kept listing. “The mashed potato, the chicken, the twist.” He pulled my arms back and forth a few times as if demonstrating that he knew how to do the twist.

“He can even foxtrot and waltz, though he won’t admit it,” Jesse added with a smirk.

“But,” Chance said quickly, trying to ignore Jesse, “I won’t disco, that era was just stupid.”

I shook my head, laughing. “Who knew you could do so many dances.”

“Well you have to entertain yourself somehow through the decades,” Jesse said.

“Though I must say,” Chance said with a grin, pulling me closer. “This decade’s impression of dancing is pretty good too.”

“It’s not dancing,” Jesse replied in an agitated voice, “It’s just grinding to music.”

“Hey, that’s good too.”

“Chance!” I yelled, pulling away.

He laughed. “Just saying.”

I shook my head and looked away. “Well there’s not music to dance to anyway.”

“Mistro!” Chance yelled and suddenly faint, scratchy music started.