Chapter 33

Jesse

I turned around and narrowed my eyes at him as father stepped forward. His eyes scanned the room as he took in everything then settled on El. I growled low and quickly stepped in front of her. I could hear Chance growling loudly a few feet away and hoped he was still keeping a good grip on Siena.

Father looked to me and shook his head, making a tsk, tsk noise. “You two were so promising, so much potential, especially you Jesse. You could have been my right hand man. Together we could have been an unstoppable force in our world. We still could be.”

“No,” I said firmly, “I refuse to turn against the ones I care about.”

Father then slowly turned to look to Chance, who was still pinning down Siena. “With a little work you could be great, son.”

Chance growled low. “I’m not your son.”

He sighed and shook his head, looking very disappointed. “You create them, take care of them, teach them, and what do they do in return? Refuse to listen to you, run off on their own, cause all sorts of mayhem.”

He turned back toward me and his eyes locked on El, who was holding tightly onto the back of my shirt. “You cannot deny that with her alive, the vampire world will go to war with itself trying to gain control of her.”

I glanced back at El then looked back to him. “We know.”

“You know?” he asked, looking a little shocked.

“It was one of the things we discussed the other night and surprisingly, we decided that you were right. She is something that the families would go to war over, but there are also a thousand other reasons that the vampires will go to war in the next few decades, even without her factoring in, and she’d be very helpful in stopping them if she agreed to help.”

Father growled and shook his head. “You think too much son. She is the first step to war, we must get rid of her then we can deal with the other threats as they come.”

He took a step toward El but I quickly stepped to the side, blocking his path. “We’re not going to let you take her,” I growled, “Right Chance?”

“No way in hell are you getting your claws in her!” Chance yelled.

Father sighed and stepped back. “I really didn’t want to do this, but you leave me no choice.” He turned and looked at the massive amount of vampires behind him. “Remove them please, kill them if you have to.”

My eyes widened. I definitely hadn’t expected him to sign our death warrants. Before I could say anything, the vampires charge forward.

“El, run!” I yelled, glancing behind me to see her spinning around and taking off across the gym.

Chance pulled back his fist and hit Siena hard, knocking her out, before he jumped up and tackled the vampire closest to him. I quickly jumped out of the way as several vampires tried to grab hold of me, staying just out of their reach.

When I looked back toward El, my eyes narrowed at the vampire that was racing toward her, hand extended and sharp claws dangerously close to her. A growl worked its way up through my throat and I saw red.

Without another thought I sped forward, grabbing the vampire by the neck and yanking him back just as his claws brushed against her hair. She let out a surprised yelp but kept running, pulling open the door to the equipment room and disappearing inside it.

I grabbed the head of the vampire in my hands and quickly snapped his neck, tossing him to the side as more charged me. The first one coming up was rather young and all it took was grabbing his neck and slamming him into the wall to make him crumple to the ground. The others were more difficult.