Chapter 15

Elizabeth

I was surprised when the twins didn’t say anything to me for the rest of the day. Nothing. At one point, I smelt Chance’s cologne as he passed by, but he didn’t say a word to me. Maybe they actually were going to leave me alone.

“You should have seen them!” Jenna said excitedly as we got out of her car and walked up to her house.

We had a project for first period that we had to work on together so we decided that I should spend the night at her house to give us more time to work on it, then she’d take me to school in the morning. I’d even brought an overnight bag to school and everything.

After what had happened, Jack didn’t want to let me go but I convinced him that I had to since it was for school. Besides, I really wanted to get away from his over-protectiveness. It was starting to bug me.

“Hurry up Jenna,” I said as she unlocked the door. “It’s freezing out here.”

She giggled. “It’s not that cold.” She opened the door and I hurried inside. “Anywaaaaay,” she said, closing the door behind her. “like I was saying, Jesse and Chance looked horrible! Can you believe someone would mess up my poor Chance’s face like that?”

Her Chance? What the heck? She’d only been on one date with him and after that, as far as I knew, she hadn’t really seen much of him since.

I shook my head, not really wanting to think about it too much. “I can believe it; I was there. Jack was the one that got in a fight with them. It happened this morning when we first got to school.”

From the silence, I’d guess she was staring at me with big eyes and a dropped jaw. Or maybe just a confused look.

“Well why would he do that!?”

I shrugged as I put my backpack down, not wanting to tell her the truth either. “He, eh, just really didn’t want them near me for some reason. He’s being an over-protective big brother and told them to stay away. When they didn’t agree, he started trying to convince them with his fists.”

Jenna laughed, as in a really big, loud laugh, then walked into the kitchen. “Oh wow! I feel bad for my Chance, but I still gotta love Jack. He’s just so . . .” she giggled. “I love how he’s all protective and would get into a fight to protect those he cared about.”

I rolled my eyes, sitting at the table. “How do you find that sweet? He yelled at them then started pounding on them. That is not sweet. It’s just macho and stupid.”

She sighed then leaned on the table, beside me. “It’s not like that. You’re seeing it all wrong.”

I grinned. “I’m not seeing it at all.”

“Bethy, you know what I mean,” she whined as she went back to searching through the kitchen. “It’s the fact that he cares about you so much that he’s willing to get himself hurt to defend you. That’s real family love right there. Now if he could only send some of that love my way.” She giggled and I rolled my eyes.

I turned toward her as she rummaged through the fridge. “How bad did they look?”

“Jesse wasn’t that bad, like he only got a few hits, but poor Chance was completely black and blue. He was even limping it looked like.” Poor Chance.

“How did Jack look?” I asked.

“Oh he looked fine. Maybe a bruise or two, but it didn’t look like they really got to touch him.”

I thought back to the conversation I had overheard earlier. Chance said he could of easily taken Jack, which was true since they were . . . yeah, not going there right now. He obviously couldn’t kill Jack, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t still hit him back.