Chapter 18

Jesse

Elizabeth leaned closer to me and I held her tighter. “Don’t growl at me,” I said in return, narrowing my eyes.

Chance stepped out and slowly walked over to us. “Were you seriously going to outrun whoever was coming up on you?” He asked.

As soon as she heard his voice, Elizabeth relaxed considerably, something that upset me slightly.

“What an idiot plan,” he continued, “You should have gotten ready to attack.”

I narrowed my eyes, setting El down. “Then she could get hurt. When I needed to do was get her out of here and to safety. To stay and fight would have been a stupid move.” 

Chance growled back then El took a step between us. “Okay, so you both have different strategies. Can we get out of here now!?”

Chance shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets and trying to act cool. Did he forget she couldn’t see his stupid act? Moron.

“Well Siena is unconscious and tied to a tree, so we can do whatever you want, Lizzy.”

My eye twitched as I saw the small smile on her lips from the nick name. Wasn’t she supposed to hate that nick name? That’s why he used it. So why was she smiling at him?

“Then can we get inside somewhere? It’s cold out here.” She smiled again. “And don’t call me Lizzy.”

Chance smirked to me then leaned his head close to hers, “Whatever you say, Lizzy.”

She giggled quietly, reaching out and lightly hitting his shoulder before he started walking.

I growled quietly then took her hand and started leading her out of the woods and down the snow covered sidewalk.

“So where are we going?” she finally asked, sounding a little nervous.

“Somewhere where we can keep you out of trouble,” Chance said with a smirk, “Since vampires will soon be flocking to you.”

Her eyes widened slightly. “You weren’t kidding about that before?”

I spoke before Chance could say something else to scare her. “No one else knows yet, that we know of, but I’m sure it won’t be long before the word spreads. The prophecy doesn’t say what role the girl with the sight plays in the big battle, just that it’s an important role. So some will want to kidnap you and force you to work for them during this coming battle.”

“While others,” Chance said quickly before I could cut him off, “will just want to kill you and get you out of the way. Their enemies can’t use someone who’s dead.”

She shivered at the thought and stepped closer to me. “But I don’t even know how it works.”

“We’ll help you with that,” I said softly, putting an arm around her. “We’ll try to help you learn how to use it while we’re protecting you. You just have to trust us.”

She hesitated, pulling away from me. Chance glanced back and smirked. I quickly shot him a glare.

“We won’t hurt you El,” I told her, “or at least I won’t.”

Chance growled quietly, slowing his pace so he was walking on the other side of her instead of a few steps ahead.

“I won’t either; I’m the one that saved her!”

“Fine,” she said with a sigh. “I’ll trust you. But I want both of you to know how hard this is for me, and if either of you do something to betray my trust, I’m going for the closest wooden stake.”

Chance laughed and I chuckled a couple of times.

“Alright Buffy,” Chance teased. “Good luck with that.”

She grinned, crossing her arms. “You don’t think I could do it?”

He smirked then jumped in front of her, walking backwards. “You could try,” he took her hand and pulled her forward a few steps, then pressed her hand to his chest. “But it’d have to be really sharp and you’d have to get it between the ribs and through all this strong muscle.”

She rolled her eyes then pulled her hand back. “Oh wow, can you say big ego?”

“Try huge ego,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Hey, just saying,” he said with a grin, falling back in step with El.

“Soooo,” she said slowly, drawing the word out, “where are we going then?”

I leaned forward and looked to Chance, raising an eyebrow. He scrunched his face up like he was thinking. I leaned my head to the side a little and he straightened up slightly, understanding what I was thinking. I shrugged, asking if that place was alright then he shrugged back, saying okay.

“Are you two mouthing things to each other so I can’t hear?” El asked.

Chance laughed once. “No, but that’s a good idea.”

She suddenly smiled. “Were you two just having a freaky twin moment? Where you just know what the other is thinking!?”

“Uh.”

Chance smirked. “Maybe.”

“And I missed it!” she said, acting like she just missed something huge. “I didn’t know you two were that close. Awwwwwww.”

We both rolled our eyes at that and looked forward.

“When you’re around each other so much for so long,” Chance answered, “then it just kind of happens.”

“Besides,” I said with a grin, “it’s not hard to guess what Chance is thinking; he only has two brain cells.”

“Hey,” Chance growled, kicking snow at me from behind El.

I smirked and she laughed then asked, “So for the third time, where are we going?”

“Our house,” Chance said, grinning, “We can have a sleepover. You can even share my bed with me Lizzy, if you’d like.”

“No thank you,” she said quickly.

I couldn’t help myself, I cracked up laughing. Chance glared and I quieted down.

“Yeah,” I said when I stopped laughing, “You’ll stay with us for the next few days.”

“Few days!?” she practically yelled, “Jack will freak if I’m gone that long, and Jenna will be spazing out when she thinks she’s lost me. I just can’t be gone that long! Plus there’s school!”

“Relax,” Chance said in his ‘cool’ voice. “The snow storm won’t really be gone for a few days, despite what the weather channel says.”

“And you know this how?” she asked.

He grinned, leaning close to her ear. “Because I’m magical.”

She rolled her eyes and pushed him away. “But what am I going to tell Jenna and Jack?”

“Well,” I said, thinking.

“Easy,” Chance interrupted, “Tell Jack you’re with Jenna then he won’t think twice about it, then tell Jenna you ran into a family friend and are staying with them for a few days. As simple as that.”

She bit her lip, considering the idea then shrugged. “I guess that’ll work.”

“Of course it’ll work!” Chance said, throwing his arm around her shoulder, “I’m the genius of excuses.”

“Alright, I’ll give it a try,” she said pulling out her phone.

We stayed quiet, helping her along the sidewalk and through the snow as she called Jack and Jenna, giving them the excuses Chance came up with. As much as I hate to admit it, it actually worked. Not a bad plan after all.

“So how much longer until we get there?” El asked as she put her phone back in her pocket.

“We’re here,” I told her, helping her up the steps.

Chance smirked. “Lucy, we’re home.”